ctf_converge_b10000.jpg

ctf_converge_b10002.jpg

Waiter, there's dev in my beta.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Waiter, there's dev in my beta.

Shh, not so loudly, Monsieur! Or the other customers will start asking for it!

I had a problem with the soundscapes: the sound of the printer was audible all the way across the map. Also, this:

ctfconvergeb10000.jpg

The computers' faces are sticking out the tops of their cases.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
That said I think this texture looks OK. The strokes are so small that they're not really noticeable, especially if you're actually playing as opposed to humping the prop in game.

I spent an entire round as CnD spy blocking captures. You have identified my play style.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm not hearing the printer everywhere now, but it appears you're using it for the sounds of the gray mainframes. It should be the ambient humming clip, I think.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
The mainframe beeping sounds are really irritating. They occasionally bug out and you hear them all over the map.

Please use a soundscape instead of an ambient_generic :(

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Yeah they pass on to other maps too.

Grim up there heard it all through Wiretap.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Well, I missed out a soundscape proxy along the middle route out of the base to switch to the normal Gorge 'inside' soundscape but I'm not too sure why you guys are hearing it throughout the entire map because I never do even with my speakers on full blast. Guess I'll move the sound to a soundscape instead and see if that helps.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I enjoyed playing this as scout. One thing that struck me more often than not though was how lopsided the ease-of-score was. If there was no sentry it'd be a breeze to score. If there was a sentry you'd have to bring a full-on assault to score. I think in a serious 6v6 you'd get a lot more of the latter since people would be staring at their flag locator and know when someone's coming.

Obviously other CTF levels can be the same way but since this is a variant it's probably easier to see.

Oh, and cloaked spies blocking capture = annoying :<

I like the layout of the capture area. Maybe the height disparity between defenders and attackers on the top entrance is slightly too high though? As an attacker I thought it seemed a little easier to hold top and have the team rain down projectiles while it was difficult to push out of. I'd need to play some more though.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I like the layout of the capture area. Maybe the height disparity between defenders and attackers on the top entrance is slightly too high though? As an attacker I thought it seemed a little easier to hold top and have the team rain down projectiles while it was difficult to push out of. I'd need to play some more though.

I've found this has been that way since a1. I've personally mentioned it through multiple versions but i think Psy wants to hear it from more people before considering it an issue that needs addressing. Either that or it looks like he may be giving too much editor freedom to keep that closed well door as a key feature of the capture room.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I enjoyed playing this as scout. One thing that struck me more often than not though was how lopsided the ease-of-score was. If there was no sentry it'd be a breeze to score. If there was a sentry you'd have to bring a full-on assault to score. I think in a serious 6v6 you'd get a lot more of the latter since people would be staring at their flag locator and know when someone's coming.

Obviously other CTF levels can be the same way but since this is a variant it's probably easier to see.

I'm completely aware of this issue and - you're right - it is basically the same as normal CTF where once the flag has reached a certain point you might as well give up on any chance of being able to stop the carrier but I'm not sure if it's something that could be easily solved. :(

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I've changed the height of the upper floor from 256 to 192 and here's the difference. (Ignore some of the dodgy brushwork)

Before
old.jpg

After
new.jpg

Dr Forrester

L2: Junior Member
Aug 15, 2008
My clan did a test on converge tonight to see if it would work on our pub server... the map did very well, and the game mode was well received.

Most of the issues we had were cosmetic, although it was pointed out that some of the props on the center bridge fade out while they should still be visible on the "battlements", as illustrated by the image attached. This could be a problem with snipers, as they could line up a shot against someone who should be behind cover, and allow them to see exactly when they are going to step out. (At least, according to the sniper that pointed it out.)

The only other major criticism voiced was that they were expecting "something cool" to happen after a round was won, like the captures were building to something, and they were rather disappointed when after three caps there was... nothing, just more of the same. (If you want to do something like this, I would suggest having the losing team's computer "break down" at the end of round)

The map was very well liked, and we probably will put the next version up on rotation on our pub server at some point and see how it does there. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The only other major criticism voiced was that they were expecting "something cool" to happen after a round was won, like the captures were building to something, and they were rather disappointed when after three caps there was... nothing, just more of the same. (If you want to do something like this, I would suggest having the losing team's computer "break down" at the end of round)

I find it interesting that people would make this assumption about a CTF map. CTF maps have never had dynamic endings. That's not to say they shouldn't... but it's a weird assumption to make for a ctf map.