Bugs, Glitches, and Spots on Valve Maps

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I used to like using the replace function to exchange them for nodraw in one sweep. But then I thought "What happens if one of those dev faces was visible to players, and now I am making them see the void, or enabling them to see through some brushes?" Now, I prefer to keep the dev textures, letting the compile process remove them for me. If I have done all my detailing and brushwork right, then I should have no dev faces in the finished BSP. If there are remaining dev faces, though, then as you said, Crash, it's probable I have missed some faces. But it could also reveal more serious problems.

I like the cleverness of the system, in the way it removes faces that do not need to be drawn during the compile, such as faces in the void, or touching faces. I have also grown to prefer seeing textured brushes on the outside of my map, as opposed to nodraw, because I find it easier to tell them apart.

I wonder if I would be able to do what I suggest by decompiling the BSP in to a new VMF, loading it up in Hammer, and checking the materials browser. It would be more convenient if Hammer could accommodate my desire, but I rarely output any finished work anyway!

S

saph

wow psy, so bad.
Psy said he actually made at least one error on each map on purpose.

I have seen the old thread before, but that was a while back. Plus, most of the images are dead. I didn't expect to learn that many new mistakes from Valve on here this quickly.

Some of these errors shouldn't be happening, like on Upward. If the two faces are flush, then it shouldn't mess anything up. This reminds all of us, take your time and keep testing.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Psy said he actually made at least one error on each map on purpose.

hWNEXXY.gif

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I had no idea what the problem was, before I read your caption, Suomimies.

Using HL2 assets isn't a bad thing on its own. As long as you try to keep to the TF2 style it's fine. This fence looks fine, to me. On close inspection it has some more detail than a TF2-style fence but it's not so much that it sticks out. This area looks to be out of bounds anyway so I wouldn't be paying any attention to it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Stuff like that happens in the real world. It's more of a "you're clearly trespassing if you step around, but we don't have anything you can really steal so it doesn't matter"

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Personally, I could spot the fact instantly. I've been looking at the TF2 fences way too much.

It does look a bit out of place, but if it's that far away I don't think anyone is going to notice.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, you'd have to swim around it too
Or just grab the edge of the fence and swing your whole body around, if you're badass enough.

Oct 6, 2008
Or just grab the edge of the fence and swing your whole body around, if you're badass enough.

No don't do that - its a trap fence - notice that small panel section? It break's off when you do your bad ass move and throws you into the water. Where the shark from Half-Life lives. Your bad ass will then have an Ichthyosaurus :laugh:

Clone5184

L2: Junior Member
Aug 11, 2014
Here's something that I had discovered just outside one of blue's exit tunnels in Dustbowl's 2nd stage.
2015-08-30_00001.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-08-30_00001.jpg
    2015-08-30_00001.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 63

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Wow, how exciting. Valve clearly sucks.

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
OH MY GOD A HOLE NOOOOOOOOO VALVE IS SUPPOSED TO BE PERFECT OH MY GOD.

They'll patch it in the next update.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
5ACS7hj.jpg

Hey look I found another thing on Nightfall.

Speaking of which, all of the railings on Nightfall block bullets.