Azimuth

KotH Azimuth b1

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Azimuth - Arena map focused on vertical gameplay

*The azimuth is the angle between the north vector and the perpendicular projection of the star down onto the horizon. Azimuth is usually measured in degrees (°). The concept is used in navigation, astronomy, engineering, mapping, mining and artillery*

Azimuth is my first attempt at arena mode. I'l looking to make something small but enjoyable that I can actually finish. Any and all feedback is welcome.

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-completely redesigned spawn rooms
-redesigned how players access the point
-added lower path under the point
-removed side path to upper area
-changed and added cover to outside and main tunnel areas
-added side tunnel and stairs to upper battlements area
-other stuff I forgot
-minimal detailing (like hardly anything)

Read the rest of this update entry...

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Something feels off with the scale of the mid point:

OO684sC.jpg

I don't think it's the number of routes leading to the cap nor necessarily the verticality of the areas near it, since the dynamicness of the combat feels pretty good. It just seems like it's difficult to counter HWGs on the point, like the only way to beat them is if they're distracted. Not exactly sure of a solution, but maybe you have something in mind - I talk about it in the feedback video: youtu.be/ Q8-rBtZEBM0

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Really interesting changes dude! Lookin forward to testin it during the gameday.
I have a couple thoughts on how it could play but I'll keep those to myself for now - not to steer a mindset.

Couple small things just now anyway:
The clip that blocks this entire slope off could be a bit more obvious somehow:
B37DvVZ.jpg

It's a bit frustrating that this wall is clipped flat so that I can't climb on the concrete barrier (I like climbing on things):
5toy9md.jpg

Could be funny if the upper area of this wasn't clipped so demomen could shoot up and float down on their parachutes (doesn't need to happen but might be fun to play with):
mnTQIKQ.jpg

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
When we imped this the other day, I didn't really enjoy it. I think the main reason for this was the fact that the point was tucked away in a side building, whereas I expected it to be in the centre down that mid path. I also didn't really like that path, as it felt very thin and easily spammed, meaning there aren't really any routes to the point that feel like "main" routes. Unfortunately, just widening this would probably create massive sightlines, but you could put something in between the point and the yards, and then move the point over so it was on the main path.
Also (but less importantly) the yards just felt messy. The rocks felt like they were put there for the sake of making it more interesting, and while empy yards would be hella boring, I feel like you could do more. Maybe put a shack with the health & ammo in it? Either way, this feels like a map that could be fun, but for me still has a long way to go.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Normally I wouldn't comment on visual short-hand in an alpha-stage map, but since you've clearly started on the detailing pass already, here's something that bothered me about it...

Hey look a shutter door. I wonder where it leads...

Oh, it leads here. A room that has no shutter door of any kind.

Here's how much space there is in between the two. You could barely fit a bicycle in there, let alone anything that would need a shutter door! It wouldn't even be that hard to fix, just move some of those pipes and computers around and put a shutter door there.

(By the way, apologies for the poor graphics quality. My laptop is far from high-end.)

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
* I KNOW LIGHTING IS OFF IN SOME AREAS, WILL WORK ON THAT FOR A7 OR B1 OR WHATEVER THE NEXT VERSION MAY OR MAY NOT BE*

-reworked upper area by point, again
-reworked paths to point, again
-moved spawns around in the spawn room, again
-added higher flat area by outside stairs to the area leading to the roof by point
-reworked uninteresting area between tunnel exit and point
-moved around some health n ammo packs
-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much detailing (it looks like such a mess)
-some...

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
-increased spawn time for defending team from 8 to 10 seconds
-decreased point cap time from 8 to 6 seconds
-edited building between spawn and point to make rocket jumping from spawn balcony to mid easier
-lighting changes for base areas and detail tunnel by point
-minimal detailing
-cleaned up some brushwork
-other things I may have forgotten
-removed concrete barriers around point

MegapiemanPHD

aa
Mar 31, 2012
(while the map may look beta, I'ts not yet. Wanna get one more playtest in before I push it into Beta)
-changed roof of building between mid and spawn to make playable space a bit easier to identify
-opened up scaffolding beams on the previously mentioned building a bit so you can walk on SOME of them
-moved doorway to battlements outside spawn in hopes of drawing players to the other upper path in that area
-shortened upper path from spawn to roof by point
-simple detailing for bases
-cleaned up brushwork
-added lil height variety to the dull path with the van (I know the vans are sunken into the ground, will fix in next version)
-opened up one of the panels to the previously mentioned area from point
-edited some clipping
-minimal optimization work (will focus on this more for next version)