Your thoughts on class balance

nairb

L1: Registered
Jan 29, 2010
Engie

Interesting post . I believe you could make arguements for every class , but player skill weighs heavy . More skilled players will make that class seem superior , I am here to talk about the engie though . I agree with everything you said . As far as an improvement to the class , I think a direct link to the dispenser for a short period of time would be greatly beneficial , say 5 seconds . Kinda like a short uber charge . When i play engie , i scout alot and having that extra 5 seconds would greatly help this class . I am new to all this , but my 2 cents .

nairb

L1: Registered
Jan 29, 2010
Put the HUD in spawn , for all team members to see . Use it or not it would be there .

General_Norris

L2: Junior Member
Nov 16, 2009
Interesting post . I believe you could make arguements for every class , but player skill weighs heavy . More skilled players will make that class seem superior

Yes, I think that the Pyro has a bad reputation because of it's weird skill curve is preventing average players to be good at using him. Were it not for that weird skill curve there would be more good Pyros around.

Consider that using the Demoman or the Soldier is pretty much the same no matter how much time have you been using them.

I am here to talk about the engie though . I agree with everything you said . As far as an improvement to the class , I think a direct link to the dispenser for a short period of time would be greatly beneficial , say 5 seconds . Kinda like a short uber charge . When i play engie , i scout alot and having that extra 5 seconds would greatly help this class . I am new to all this , but my 2 cents .

While I don't agree with the exact mechanics I very much agree with the idea behind it. Like my grenade it's a way of making the Engineer able to move around instead of needing it so much without giving him a lot of "aggro" power.

The idea is the same, to be able to do something that helps both you and your team, that helps you to both build your sentry and to defend it. More firepower is not the solution. IMHO.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Do you mean a buff can only be called an upgrade when it features new models or effects?

You didn't read the first part of his post.

Yes, I think that the Pyro has a bad reputation because of it's weird skill curve is preventing average players to be good at using him. Were it not for that weird skill curve there would be more good Pyros around.

Consider that using the Demoman or the Soldier is pretty much the same no matter how much time have you been using them.

Juggling is much harder than it may appear. Try knocking someone out of the air with a pill grenade.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
In a nutshell, the problem is this:

for every iota of greater organization/skill the enemy team has, the Heavy, Engineer, and Pyro all drop in effectiveness too fast. (The spy has had a lot of work to try to move it out of that category.)

That same basic issue is what causes issues with the Sentry and the Backburner.