weapons_facility

Swiftmind

L2: Junior Member
Dec 6, 2009
I played this map before, I think B1. The playtest today on the EU server did not have full 24 people but it went alright. It seems blue just plows through all the points except the last. The last point becomes a big bottleneck. I am not sure how to fix this at the moment hehe. Perhaps longer respawn times for red on last point? I am better with technical reviews, so here I go...

Overall the detail is good. Typical TF2 look. But it seems like the detail relies too much on props. I think some more creativity can go into the brush work to make the map more interesting.

Please fix the func_respawn visualizers....a bunch of respawns had the big red circle repeating many times. It looks more clean and well built to have one big red circle over the door.

Outside red first spawn, a bunch of players on red got confused right away and ran down the wrong way on the track. I see you got a big red prop arrow on the ground, put it vertical and on the track itself to block red from running the wrong way. Once blue gets first cap, slide the prop arrow sign down under the ground. Place it next to the stack of crates. In my experience people dont read arrows and such, its better to just block the wrong paths.

Outside blue last spawn, by the ledge over looking the exit and second to last point, there is a blue arrow pointing to a wall under the big red logo overlay. Delete it, it sort of confusing since it points to nothing immediate. Instead make a big blue arrow point downwards above the door the player uses.

There seems to be some model issues. The forklift and alligator had no texture data. Also there was two ERROR models in blue first spawn.

This map needs to be optimized better. I have a fast machine so I did not experience any issues. But just flying around in spectator I noticed a few things to make the map faster in game.

attachment.php

Does this background open area between the trains and rockets really need to be connected? Put a solid wall in between to separate these areas. So the player wont see as much of the other side.

attachment.php

This is inside red first spawn. The player does not need to see the outside and visa versa; put a open/closed area portal on the doors.

attachment.php

If a player is not supposed to go into this alley then why is it open to both areas? Put a wall right down the middle of this dark alleyway to split up the map. The player does not need to see the world on the other side of this alleyway, it is just a waste of system resources since the two areas are far apart in terms of gameplay. Also the garage door with the garbage truck under it, close the door if more optimization is needed. Once again the player is rendering the entire outside of blue first spawn when the player is inside.

attachment.php

I noticed a few areas need nodraws like these stairs. The player will never see this yet it will be rendered. Also another tip, make the stairs a triangle where the slanted part faces down, this will save one brush side per stair.

attachment.php

Uh oh, looks like there is a texture issue here. I should not be seeing a nodraw. This may be happening if you have nodraws on an incorrectly made displacement...or a trigger...or something else. You will need to look into this.

Oh the music, people freaked out over it. Eh I dont mind it, something to listen too while we setup. *shrugs*

Overall the map is alright.

(-TN-) Ben2

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 10, 2009
ok, beta 3 had a few problems b3a2 shoudl fix thoose problems, it was just pakrat issues. I am planning on releasing b3a3 in a while it will include more brush work detailing/better ligthing and a bit of optimizations.

MattKnight

L1: Registered
Jun 18, 2011
Your download like to Game Front comes up with a file missing message.

Please fix. Thanks.