[VSH] Granary Storm

VSH [VSH] Granary Storm V1

Miki

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2022

It's Hurricane Season​

A hurricane has swept over Granary while Saxton Hale fights for it back. A periodic storm will come crashing down and limit your vision, giving Hale the opportunity to pick you off one by one. So stay together!

This is the Vscript Versus Saxton Hale conversion of Granary Storm, no plugins required!

Thank you to these UGC content contributors:

Yrrzy - Modular Weather Particles
AsG_Alligator - Hi-res hazard stripes
TF2Maps Swamp Team - Swamp pack assets
Valve - L4D2 Rainscapes
LizardofOz & VSH team - VSH Gamemode
Gamebanana Mirror
[CP] Granary Storm
[ARENA] Granary Storm

20230730124401_1-jpg.212100

Last edited:

Miki

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2022
You can take the map's VSH lore as: Hale fights the mercs at Granary during a hurricane to get the land back, but I honestly didn't put much thought into it. I was considering doing Nucleus' gray coverage, but Tiny Rock uses RED vs BLU team sides, so I went with that since VSH lore is kinda hazy to me anyway. (also, since I planned to have the first post, I'll just hijack this one for my thoughts).

Versus Saxton Hale
This VSH conversion of Granary Storm was made as practice compiling a VSH map. It adds more pickups from the CP version and only locks BLU’s spawn room during setup. It’s similar to VSH Nucleus in this regard (which uses the KOTH version spawns curiously enough). When a storm hits, well the map just became Slender Fortress with Hale running around. Keep close to your team or hide inside one of the buildings for shelter from the elements. And since Gray Mann took over the Administrator’s role, I cut her storm warning lines.

I learned some things while converting from Arena to VSH, that being:

1. Smooth walls so mercs don't bump their head climbing walls.
Running around middle, I bumped my head into some crates trying to climb up them. This made me take another clipping pass to make sure mercs can climb walls smoothly. I also freed at least one area so players can wall climb up them where it felt natural.

2. Hale has tons of mobility and can easily touch the skybox.
Pretty obvious, but it means texturing roofs, checking for perch points, and being cautious of visual bugs at such altitude.

3. Lack of promotional material
I liked the Skirmish and Tinyrock Saxton thumbnails, but there isn't a resource right now besides his class portrait to easily convey your map is VSH. I also learned to NOT Google "tf2 Saxton Hale transparent".

Overall, I learned how the mode works in Hammer and can plan future maps for it. Personally, I wanted to attempt a 3 stage VSH map to add more variety, however it seems that only one Control Point can be used as mentioned in the VSH manual. I'm not sure where this will go, the Arena and VSH were just a day's worth experimenting and updating the graphics/soundscapes, but I thank you for reading.

Last edited: