PSTCDOM Yogurt

TD PSTCDOM Yogurt a11a

Paper Shadow

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2016
Done a retrospective on Yogurt and some of the my other attempts at entering the Unofficial Territorial Domination Contest. It's a bit long but it is there for anyone interested in the path I took to reach Yogurt.

Codename: [Sword]

20230310090123_1.jpg

My initial plan for the contest was to make two Territorial Control maps: one regular traditional one and a quick Medieval mode one. I initially wanted to avoid making a Territorial Control Domination map as I felt that was sort of the easy mode compared to the monolith that is Territorial Control. Ignoring the fact that my eyes were bigger than my stomach, [Sword] was the first Medieval TC layout I made and was happy with (at first at least, which allowed it to have been saved and compiled).

The TCDOM Contest began about a month after Microcontest 23: Timer Attack, where my submission was a Space-themed Medieval Symmetrical 4CP Map. The main point of feedback from the map was its large size in the context of Medieval mode, so [Sword] was designed to be smaller. Perhaps too small. The theme of the map was going to be snowy medieval, inspired by detail2014_plipplop, with the majority of the points and the central courtyard being outside. The story of the map revolve around BLU representing an outside force while RED starts with control of the castle. The designated areas are 1024x1024hmu I believe, and do not reflect how large the points would actually be (likely 512x512hmu).

While running around the map to test how it feels, I came to the epiphany that capture points are usually pretty easy to cap in Medieval mode, and since Territorial Control has the round end and restart when a point is captured, this creates a design flaw where there is too frequent stop and go. This could be solved with King of the Hill Territorial Control, but I wasn't interested in that idea at the time so I turned my attention to TCDOM.

Codename: [Blade]

20230310090854_1.jpg

My first attempt at Medieval TCDOM, with the same theme as [Sword] and similar structure of one point inside and the other two outside, one on the castle structure and one on a cliff to differentiate the two. With [Blade], I simply didn't like how it was shaping up so I dropped it pretty quick. Not much else to say. I would try this theme and idea a lot, but I was never happy with anything I made for it so I never saved any of it, so [Blade] represents all those other maps too.

Codename: [Pirate]

20230310090717_1.jpg

Drawing inspiration from Caribbean and Cursed Cove, [Pirate] is a move away from the snowy medieval theme and towards other possible Medieval mode themes. The image I had in my head that inspired the map for me was a rope bridge into a secret pirate cave, with like a cliff carved to make the entrance look like a skull or something. Perhaps a little too cartoony for Team Fortress 2 but it acted as a compass to guide the development of the rest of the map.

[Pirate] also enjoys being the only map in this retrospective to have a second image, as I created and saved a layout concept for the map, so we'll talk about that briefly. Whenever I do make a layout concept, I usually just whip up something quick in Clip Studio Paint, but sometimes I would go through the effort of booting up Planet Coaster and using its terrain tools and detailing tools to create a map layout. Planet Coaster already has some prefabricated pirate-themed decorated buildings so I just used those to convey the idea, and used dragon animatronics to position the capture points. Why dragons? Well, I like dragons. I did use Planet Coaster to concept other ideas, but I didn't like those ones once I got into hammer so I won't talk about them here.

TCDomMapLayoutConcept.png

[Pirate] was the first TCDOM layout I was happy with (at first at least, which allowed it to have been saved and compiled). Themed like a small pirate hideout, the points sit within a small village, the port, and the pirate cave. A pool of water sits between two of the points of the map, with a “rope bridge” over it like I envisioned. There is a path between that area and the bottom point in the Planet Coaster concept, but I blocked it off with a wall when I removed the uppermost route for being too long so each area had two points connecting them. I was planning on converting that big block on the centre right of the image to be a tunnel that connects in to the port/pirate cave connector route, but I stopped working on the map before that.

The reason I put the map aside was because of an issue that arose with the map's design brought on by an innocent comment (or perhaps divine intervention). In the Discord channel for the contest, assuming I found the correct comment, Aulli made some comments about how designing for Territorial Control is akin to making three 2CP A/D maps. Someone misinterpreted that as a ground to help make a TCDOM entry, prompting Aulli to say “I was saying that for TC, I think TCdom that design theory doesn't quite apply because middle is important” and followed up with” the important part to my understanding is the fact that the fastest & most natural 'main' routes go through the same area, and routes between the points that don't are treated as flanks”.

Up until this point I had designed my TCDOM maps like hollow triangles: each point has a route to each point, and nothing really acting as a centre. Obviously working in Medieval mode meant my maps had to be simplified by nature thus the lack of routes, but the point still stands. I took one look at [Pirate], identified that the closest thing to a centre the map was a pool of water with a bridge, went “well darn,” and scrapped the map.

Codename: [Shrine]

20230310091105_1.jpg

Shrine was the next map concept that made it to at least be compiled and seen in game. Learning from Aulli's comments, [Shrine] was build around its centre with the points all quickly connecting to it. Going for a Japan theme, the three points were in the middle of a street, inside a temple or large building of sorts, and up a cliff next to some other building or sorts. One of the inspirations I had were quiet winding upwards passageways I saw when looking for references, which inspired the area to the right of the image under the tree.

I was admittedly concerned about the highest point, as I feared having the height advantage meant to come up to fight would require going through chokepoints in the form of the ramps while players on that point can simply drop down. This concern had killed other attempts in the past, but wasn't why [Shrine] was scrapped. [Shrine] was scrapped because the centre was boring. In my focus of making sure there was a centre, I didn't give it any identity at all. It is all well and good people have a centre to go to now, but it was a flat plain. I could have thrown a rock in but that felt like a band aid solution, so I scrapped the map and came away thinking the centre of the map should also be the centrepiece.

Codename: [Draconic] and [Draconis]

So remember at the start of this retrospective where I said I was gonna make two entries? One Medieval and one traditional? One may wonder what happened to the traditional TC entry? It too had experiments, but unlike those above, all of them weren't good and were scrapped, just like a number of TCDOM false starts I didn't talk about here 'cus I didn't save anything about them. As it turns out, Capture Point Design is a big weak point of mine. So instead I wanted to give brief words of two of the general concept ideas.

[Draconic] is the idea I should probably keep in my pocket just in case, but if I wasn't gonna make it for three hundred USD I don't expect myself to make it in the near future. The idea behind [Draconic] is to solve some of the problems of Territorial Control, namely the stalemate nature of the mode, with a certain gameplay element that is very prominent in Modern TF2: Halloween. The idea was that Halloween Crit Pumpkins will help with the push and pull of the frontline, and if I needed to I could add some mechanic that spawns in the centre of the map halfway through the round to help whichever team claims it push forward (like maybe a pickup that gives team-wide mini-crits or something). In addition, in the off-chance I finish the map and it gets added to TF2 proper (which a lot of Halloween maps do), being time-limited gives it an active playerbase and prevents it falling into Alternative Game Mode Hell like Hydro. Also the idea of Halloween TC lends itself well to Workshop Marketing: “Back From The Dead: Territorial Control!”

The theming of the map would be Fantasy, presented in the context of TF2 via Gargoyles & Gravel, which I think would be an interesting and varied new type of Halloween theming. The story would be a Dwarf (represented by BLU) and a Dragon (represented by RED) vying for control of the area which may be some dragon territory land (using Hell assets) or some abandoned Dwarven mine. Maybe they both have a big pile of gold at the end points of the map, but this is all just the aesthetic. As mentioned before any attempted to make an area for the map didn't work so I ended up not making it, and focused my attention on the Medieval TCDOM map concepts.

Later on, after [Shrine] was scrapped, I tried again with a traditional TC map, this time without the Halloween flavouring. [Draconis] is based in an arctic facility that plans to launch a satellite, so the teams are fighting for control of it. There's an astronomy flavouring to the map so it takes its Codename from the Alpha Draconis star system. In the centre of the map is the rocket the teams are fighting over, acting as the centrepiece that you can see in some capacity regardless of which main four points are currently in use. Again, this was after [Shrine], so that idea of the centrepiece was on my mind, but it also draws inspiration from Meridian's big ol' robot, which I've always found very cool.

TCMapLayout.png

[Draconis] doesn't have a real concept layout, more of just a general idea of what each area represents, with the final areas representing how the teams reached the facility. I did create a concept layout for the Depot point, but when building it I didn't like how it turned out so I didn't save anything. I also had a couple of goes at making the centre area, but again I didn't like what I had so I tossed it. Rockets, as it turns out, are really big, so an area holding one has to be big too, which admittedly hurts what you can do with it.

Why do they both have dragon-related names? Well, I like dragons, but also if you are going to spend a good amount of time developing a Territorial Control map, you gotta give it a grandiose name that really captures the gravitas of the scale of work that a new custom Territorial Control map would need, and what is more grand than dragons?

Codename: [Yogurt]

20230301234104_1.jpg

My eventual entry to the contest was made completely within the last twenty four hours until the deadline. This is something I am both proud and ashamed of. Proud that I made something that worked and people enjoyed so quickly, and ashamed by the thoughts that if only I had managed to pull this off earlier, I could have weeks to improve it. Alas, these feelings aren't helpful. At the end of the day, this is the map I submitted and the alternative was nothing at all.

While the Cover Photo of Yogurt uses the B Point as the focus, I personally built the map with the cliff pillar that stands between B and C as the centrepiece of the map. It was the first element of the map to be made, inspired by a displacement tutorial by Freyja that uses rotated block brushes to create great displacement curves. The pillar was suppose to stand by itself but eventually formed a cave structure which I didn't get around to displacing up, which is a bit of a shame.

Speaking of, one would think that by looking at my previous maps here you can see how they inspired certain design decisions, but some of those are just coincidence. The A point being the only interior point may echo [Sword], and C's cave echoes [Pirate], but those decisions were made on the fly to create visually distinct capture points. The tunnel between A and C is similar to an idea for the removed route I had for [Pirate], but it is here because I wanted a connection between A and C that can't be been seen well from B, similar to the routes B has to the other points to a lesser extent.

There's a lot I wanted to do but simply ran out of time. The torches that light arrows was one thing, but since I wanted to use the Greek Pack torches I couldn't just slap down a prefab or copied the ones for DeGroot Keep, and being so worried that the particles wouldn't pack properly, I just deleted them in the final hour or so. A Point and the Respawn Rooms were the last areas made and I feel it shows, especially comparing A to B and C. I may have spent too much time detailing B, but I used previous experiments of the Greek theme as a guiding point so I didn't have to spend as much time looking around Hades as I would have to otherwise. The centre of the map also sorta lacks a centrepiece to make it memorable, but I let it pass 'cus the cliff pillar is right there and I consider that the centrepiece of the map.

20230312143117_1.jpg

My favourite part of the map is the B to C route. It is next to my beloved cliff pillar and I like that lil' ledge that you can access from the horizontal ladder on C. Since I was worried it would be too powerful, I gave B its own lil' ledge so Snipers can compete with each other (both ledges would have had torches), but also a cute lil' prop jump on the rocks next to the pillar to Players can access it from that side. The only change I would make (other than adding the torches where I wanted them) would be to put the big health pack in a more perilous state, maybe on like a plank that goes over the ledge or something. In the first demo I did get to see someone get punched into the abyss, so that was nice.

I think the worst part of the map is the A to B route. At the time I felt it was too short but I didn't understand why, as B is the same distance away from C as it is from A, and just accepted that if it was shorter that's fine as that adds flavour to the asymmetrical map, but after playing the map I finally registered that the problem is that the route is basically diagonal, compared to B to C's roundabout curve. It is also much more visually prominent than the route to the centre, meaning players moving from A to B or B to A ignore the centre in favour of that route. Again, A was the last of the three points I made and I was also concerned with the height element (akin to my concerns with [Shrine], this is why pickups in the map sort of lean against A's favour) so I fear I made compromises given the circumstances.

As for continuing [Yogurt], I'm uncertain. I have appreciated the praise for the map, especially from those calling it the best Medieval map, but my lack of knowledge of the Medieval Custom Map Community leads me to believe there is simply no audience who are willing to go out of their way for the map. In addition I feel like I need to completely revamp the A point, and I'm curious how perhaps grander changes may affect the map, such as increasing the distance between points or adding new points altogether, that a complete remake of the map would be in order. Admittedly the original was made in a day so new versions, especially if I held back on the detailing, would be quick to create. As always I am squeezed between my fluctuating discipline and my desires to work on other projects so the fate of [Yogurt] is still to be decided.

[Yogurt] was released as a11 for admittedly the sole reason to make people think more work had gone into it, an element undermined by me yelling “THE ONE DAY ENTRY IS REAL” on the Discord after submitting the map. I suppose the purpose of this retrospective is to prove that more work had gone into the map than it appears despite the fact the map itself was made in a day, fearing that all my prior efforts would go unknown and that [Yogurt] would be considered as lazy or just dumb luck (which is only slightly true), as the map intentionally or otherwise is the result of lessons from the previous attempts and experiments.