New Maps, who dis?

Thrashpanda

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2022
Ayo wassup. It's Thrashy.

I've been wanting to do this for ages. Despite my arguably measly 1k Hours in Tea for Two at the point of writing this, I've been playing since about 2014.
I love this game, always have, and felt there was a distinct lack of aesthetics in Maps that I like.
Like Snow. Not Christmassy snow, just snow. And castles. Snowy Castles. Non-Smissmassy snowy Castles. And maybe some Smissmass.

So why not do it myself? Obviously easier said than done. But I spent all of... yesterday evening... bingewatching and following UEAKCrash's Tutorial and wishing there was more of it.

I already began my first proper project, though. Obviously with a koth map. :^) And I think I really got something neat here, even if it's just basic. I even drew a birds eye view rough draft inbetween Schoolwork. All I gotta do now is... realise it in 3D.

Anyway, how do I do nature environments? Like grassy, sandy and... well, snowy stuff. Something tells me cutting 3D Cube brushes ain't it.

Oct 15, 2018
Hi, and welcome to the team fortress 2 mapping community!

Displacements are usually what mappers use to create more natural nature based environments, they're basically more rough terrain that can be used to create a more distinct gameplay area. They can be hard to learn but they are really cool.

If you haven't already, I recommend joining the tf2maps.net discord server, as you can get help with any potential mapping problems, get feedback on your maps, playtest lots of cool maps, and meet new people.
Here's the invite link: https://discord.gg/YKDv6XR

Looking forward to seeing your map! :)