Map performance drop after first round

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
I recently made a rebuild of CP Orange X3 (yeah yeah, get the disapproval out of your systems :O) for a specific server in an attempt to optimise it and make it more aesthetically pleasing. I've recently been told, however, that there is a large performance drop after the first round of the map is completed: to put this into perspective, this is what I was told happened:

Even tonight, after I shutdown everything else on the box the scrim server was on so it would have all the server's resources to itself (a quad core Q9400 & 8GB of ram), after the first round, it started to bog down and lag alot.

Apparently this is just a drop in server FPS and not a feast on the other resources. I know for sure that the map has no leaks; removing areaportals, occluders and custom textures didn't help the problem, as did removing the admittedly large surrounding scenery area. The only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem would be a lack of a team_round_timer (which I forgot to include); this, coupled with the instant respawn on the server and the very long round times that Orange generally suffers from, could I suppose spark off some bug in the TF2 engine that causes the FPS to drop.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone else could shed some light on this issue? I personally don't know what else to try, apart from adding in a team_round_timer, but I don't want to bother administrators again with another fix if I'm not sure it's going to work.

I could link to the problematic version of the map if need be.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Occluders and area portals are all client side, so that wouldn't have any effect at all, as is all the "scenery."