[ARENA] Granary Storm

ARENA [ARENA] Granary Storm V1

Miki

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2022

It's Hurricane Season​

A hurricane has swept over Granary, but a little storm won't give you time off work. A periodic storm will come crashing down and limit your vision, giving you a window of time to push Sniper sightlines or strike an ambush.

This is the ARENA conversion of Granary Storm, which includes modern changes that vanilla Arena Granary never received.

Thank you to these UGC content contributors:

Yrrzy - Modular Weather Particles
AsG_Alligator - Hi-res hazard stripes
TF2Maps Swamp Team - Swamp pack assets
Valve - L4D2 Rainscapes

Gamebanana Mirror
Steam Workshop Mirror
[CP] Granary Storm
[VSH] Granary Storm

granarena_middle-jpg.212092

Last edited:

Miki

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2022
I am writing my thoughts on the map here.

Granary Storm was a tech demo for the dynamic storm, so why an arena conversion? For one, completion sake of the Granary variations, but also a chance to practice mapping for the new Vscript VSH maps. So I made the arena version since VSH stems from that variant. I’m also really proud of my Hard Rain storm and want an excuse to have more maps with it.

We all know arena’s so popular that it warrants map variations, and I made sure to brush up on arena’s gameplay theory. Arena’s a buzzword-paced mode with rounds lasting about a minute, with emphasis on tactical choices throughout each round. Arena supports small 3 v 3 matches but also full 12 v 12 brawls. And for the isolated, you can still play with bots (at least on Team Fortress 2 Classic where bots can play arena).

Combined with the unique stormy weather, it adds another dynamic element for those arena enjoyers to experience. I’ve lowered the storm’s minimum start chance so more rounds are more likely to see one hit.

Also, because Arena Granary was never updated, this version updates the ramp room change for a new path out of courtyard. I’ve also strengthened the fog to use Sugarmill Escape’s settings, going against my hypothesis in the CP variant since it’s less risky. Be mindful that sentries can target you through fog (must be some sort of heat-tracking).

It also turns out for a few months in 2008, Granary had setup gates, so it wasn’t cut beta content after all. It was still fun to see first hand.