Zinkenite

CP Zinkenite B3a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I don't like that idea, map that is surrounded by forest and nothing more would be quite boring looking as everywhere you look, you would see forests and open areas (That are play areas)

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
And where is the problem, if it's well mapped it will make the playing area more attractive and it does absolutely no shock, believe me.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
...it worked for the ctf map last year. ya know, the one with the giant trees? landfall i think it was called

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
And where is the problem, if it's well mapped it will make the playing area more attractive and it does absolutely no shock, believe me.

Problem is that when fight is not going on, it is setup time or you are engineer in his base, you see how boring and repeating outskirts of the map are, there is reason why for example dustbowl cliffs ain't just cliffs with nothing build on them or having foliage on them, as when fight is not on, everyone would notice how boring everything looks afterall, or 2fort intel rooms for example, there is a lot of stuff in those rooms because engineers are going to stay there setting up defence.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I think a forest is a valid solution, one of many. In Manor we wanted a forest because it helped to emphasize and sell the setting of a haunted house, which was the initial plan; I don't think at this point it's fair to discredit any solution, as anything is still possible. The environment is at a place where it's in discovery, development--I may yet find a good balance between foliage/skybox. I haven't come to a decision yet about trees, but if I end up using them it would be because I need to say something about the setting.

The good news is that my new PC is all built and portal 2 is all played (excluding the multiplayer!), I can get cranking on the items listed previously. I'm excited to see how my productivity improves with a new machine. :D

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Yay new PC + HQ screenshots. The ground blend is intense atm, I will paint the alpha back so it's not so strong. I keep making the environment lighting brighter and brighter each compile, I'll find a happy selection somewhere.

detail_pass_011.jpg

detail_pass_012.jpg

detail_pass_013.jpg

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
You should try get some more spots of color in. While the stuff is high quality, once the "woah" factor wears off, there's not a lot to grab attention. The bright lantern in the first picture is basically want I'm suggesting... posters, contrasting props and so on.
There are maps which are way too busy, but I think this is on the other side of the spectrum, where it's a little too monotone.

Also, considered making grass sprites?

Sep 1, 2009
Rexy I love all the contrast between the grey and green but what atmoment is kill it for me are those rocks, I never see rocks that are nearly exact replicas of another. I want some more varitity to them. Other than that the art style you are going for is very 'unqiue' and intrest but as said ealier make sure there is details still to intrest people after the first wow factor.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I agree with Ravidge. There's not really much there yet to draw your attention to the exits. But I figure that's mostly cause there's still much detailing to go (random crates & barrels, signs, ivy framing doorways, etc, etc).

Also, in this image it struck me as odd to see the ferns & grass on what looks like dry dusty grey. Maybe stick an overlay with some green or muddy earth beneath them so it doesn't look like they're sprouting from solid rock.

But yeah... nitpicks, really. It's coming along so damned nicely.

Kep

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'm ok with making more rocks--I don't want them to become overused and repetitive, and there are only so many rotations/combinations you can use before they get old, and I don't want that. In all fairness, stage one is the 'rockiest' with the most outdoorish areas; other stages will feature both more cavey type environments and mining/wooden structures than the first. There are even a few places where the entrance of large caverns in stage two will be large rock set props--large rocky outcrops that act as an arch gateway into another area.

But my concern is filesize. Between the world textures, all new set of rocks, misc wooden props, skybox textures and whole cave environment that has yet to be made, I don't want to put any more fat into this map than there needs to be.

The comments about color and monotone are pretty legitimate concerns to me. I didn't think it was that bad, but now I can tell it's going to be a problem. I'll start using more saturated contrasting colors in places of importance, like door exits, cps, etc. And I might make a grass sprite to match the swamp grass models, I suppose it sort of depends on prop use by the end.

The last option I have, something I considered a long time was dimming the entire environment lighting and then relying on lamps/industrial lighting and self-luminous crystals to light the map. I envision this sort of solution would be the best of all--and I could probably still do some of this and it would help. at this point I just need to do it and see what happens.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think making it dimmer and adding lights would be interesting. What I think would be cool to see is some more ivy on the cliff walls, or ferns or other foliage... then you could use some light to "highlight" those areas, drawing the attention of the player to that, thus kinda breaking up the monotony of colors.

Sep 1, 2009
I personally wouldn't mind seeing a 'pipeline' night version as it could be very intresting using spotlights and lamps to highlight areas and key points, But I could destroy the 'nice' rocks and other detailing and maybe throw off the colour scheme.

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
I think the idea of night with in map illumination sounds good. You can get a nice mix of colours going to keep stuff fresh

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
Will you be using the crystals as lights in caves or just to set the scene/detailing? Because as long as the crystal aren't particularly colourful I think that could look pretty great having a low traffic cave route lit up with them.