Wiretap

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
ctf_wiretap_a70005.jpg

What is the purpose of the giant space underneath the balcony?

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well, be careful if you decide to do something about it. A little "wasted" space is better than a claustrophobic map.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I disagree. Claustrophobia is mostly a feeling, and can be solved from adding windows or low fences that look out over landscapes/farmyards. As an example, goldrush is a very "claustrophobic" map gameplaywise, with very tight passageways and little room. However, due to the clever detailing, it doesn't actually feel that way.

Remove unnecessary space if it doesn't add anything to gameplay. Doing so helps smoothen the gameflow and directing the players to where you want them to go. You can make it less "claustrophobic" during detailing.

Walker

L2: Junior Member
Oct 22, 2009
Some feedback from the pre-gameday test today.

ctf_wiretap_a70000.jpg

It was hard to notice this door here just at a glance. Adding another light here should fix it.

ctf_wiretap_a70001.jpg

You might want to disable collisions on this sign.

ctf_wiretap_a70002.jpg

BLU had a lot of sentries that round, but I noticed that once that one went up, RED didn't capture again the whole round, and I didn't notice any good spots to take it out from. Maybe fill in that area?

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
We never managed to get close to the intel after a certain point, so I would necessarily blame that sentry. And that made an awesome hiding place to eat my sandvich.

Edit: More convinced of its power after our little 6v6.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The ramp is the only possible sentry spot, but it locks the whole room. Do something.

cadeonehalf

L1: Registered
Oct 19, 2009
I like the fact that you extended the path behind the intel room to overlook the sentry for a better attacking angle. This map remains the most visually dynamic and fun to play map in the contest right now.
That said, I feel that you're painting with extremes here. The bases for each team are very tight and complex, while the mid is incredibly open and large. It feels very polarizing, and while generally bases=tighter complexes and mid=open combat, this map needs some simpler base paths and better cover in the mid.

My suggestions:
-Make the intel room larger. Larger intel room=less OP sentry spots. I'm not saying that one ramp is overpowered, rather ever sentry is overpowered because the room itself is so very very small. Look at how huge Turbine or Doublecross' intel rooms are. By contrast, look at 2Forts. You're closer to 2fort size right now, which I'm certain you want to avoid. Axe the paths above the intel room on the 2nd floor and move the wall without the ramp closer to the main entrance. Perhaps just have a direct door from the intel to the entrance without the double back.
Kind of like this:
ctf_wiretap_a70000.jpg

-simplify the battlements. They offer a ton of entrance opportunities for the attacking team and have never been easier to access with the addition of the joining path from that auxiliary building (Which I love, but it still has a powerful effect on enemy strategy). Here's what the attack flow is like for the invader now:
ctf_wiretap_a70003first.jpg

Since you've made entering the base much easier, lose the entrance from the balcony that doesn't connect with that new joining path. The advantage of the balcony is still there without another door. Combined with some other changes I've mentioned (walled off in Red), here's the new attack path:
ctf_wiretap_a70003second.jpg

Much better, right?

-Speaking of another doors, the most irritating redundant door for me was that small hallway with the sole ammopack on the second floor.
ctf_wiretap_a70004.jpg

This one.
That's entirely pointless. You don't need another way for the enemy to reach the intel room- you just added a direct path from the auxiliary building! Sure, it's right past the spawn, but there's already ANOTHER path through the vents and first floor that don't go past the spawn, so you're not lacking options. Consider also the fact that this would transform that main entrance room (the one with the random gap under the ramp that everyone's been asking about) and give it purpose with it now being not only the main exit path but also a key entrance path.

As far as the mid goes, I'm hardly objective since Flame was incredi-dominating me throughout today's playtest (I'm apparently an easy target). I think some cover might be ideal around the main well-door entrance, but like I said, I can't really tell what was the map's underlying issues and what was my personal idiocy.

Last edited:

Rikka

Feb 10, 2009
I've seen Engineer's try to use the space for tele's a few times, but overall it's only used by attackers who need more space to maneuver when they're flanked.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Handrails removed, replaced with stairs and unnecessary space shrunken? What do people think I'm doing, listening? Like that will ever happen!

ctf_wiretap_a80000.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a80001.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a80002.jpg

cadeonehalf

L1: Registered
Oct 19, 2009
That new room made me smile (if only I could tell where it is in the base from these screenshots)!

Seriously though I love the way you do spytech. :O it looks amazing!

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I have an idea. Move the health and ammo on the balcony underneath it. I've managed to stay alive quite a few times by spamming the doorways and healing with those items. Spawn times are still too long. Don't let them go higher than 7.

Also clip your doors
95dc00ctfwiretapa70001.jpg

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Alpha VIII
- Replaced handrails near spawn with stairs
- Lowered health in the lobby
- Cut out the bottom areas of the Bridge a bit
- Decreased Engie space beneath the ramp in the intel room
- Various lighting improvements
- Various clipping
- Various detailing

ctf_wiretap_a80005.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a80007.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a80008.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a80009.jpg

ctf_wiretap_a80016.jpg

Get goin' lads!

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Either it was RED's incredible teamwork or the lack of space under the ramp that did me in. I assume more testing would be necessary to find out. Other than that, you've got a pipe dream effect. You've fixed one sentry spot and another one's appeared, though it too can be dealt with. Good work so far, now get to detailing.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You have some nice details going on right now but - I'm not sure - it's always seemed like the intel room is a little busy somehow? If you look in the first shot you have the small section with the railing and the 2 doorways. Why not just remove that? You'll lose very little if you do and will, in fact, gain much more by cleaning up the top floor of the room which would make it easier to navigate and visually more simples.

Rikka

Feb 10, 2009
Wasn't a fan of the shorter respawn times. It made fighting into the base feel like a real grind. On the other hand myself and it seemed like everyone else were really drained after testing so many other maps, and that really affected how the game felt. So I'm not sure how much you can really trust my opinion from this test.