Swamp Theme Expansion - You choose the content!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
lolfail

Compile it properly And use the prefab and it just looks like its on! fancy that. :eek:

Looks like its off to me. if I have only one light entity by it it only lights the side of the bulb its on makinging the opposite side look dark. I got past this by sticking 4 entities by it.

hadlock

L1: Registered
Jul 5, 2009
Not sure if this was posted already, but I think a payload on a row boat will be a great addition to this pack. It could be strapped on to the boat. This could be useful for people who want to make a water-payload map.

Has anyone started working on one of these yet? I'm goofing around with a pushme-pullme, swampy, flooded, payload version of badlands and this would look perfect.

Maybe versions with and without wheels so it can be amphibious:woot:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Looks like its off to me. if I have only one light entity by it it only lights the side of the bulb its on makinging the opposite side look dark. I got past this by sticking 4 entities by it.

like i said, use the prefab.

HSx DrMouse

Aug 13, 2009
-A real alligator so it can be used as a environmental hazard like the trains and saws to instant kill.

Absolutely, even better, all you need is a croc head that could sit in the water with its mouth open, then chomp down when people get to close. It could even have an area effect.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
fishingnet001.png

Fishing Nets!

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
This is fantastic :) installed earlier, the skyboxes are amazing, along with the rest of the content, thankyou :)

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
The swamp pack has been great so far. :) Not sure if this has been suggested, but an old front porch rocking chair would be a great addition.

Also, it would be nice if Valve could release all of this swamp pack in their update so we don't have to spend more time taking extra steps for compiling and uploading to servers. It would put everyone on the same page when playing a map with these materials and remove possibility for error.

tanuki

Aug 8, 2009
The swamp pack has been great so far. :) Not sure if this has been suggested, but an old front porch rocking chair would be a great addition.

Yeah I totally agree I really wanted a rocking chair for my porch. :p

Um some things that would be nice I think would be some meat hooks or something that you could hang gibs from or something for a horror element.

A different type of boat would be nice too, like a trolling boat, maybe covered.

Some textures for a southern style plantation house and make some vegetable crops or something.

a hammock

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Big Thanks for the great swamp pack! You've created some very good content there.

I've two ideas I'd like to contribute (if you're going to update it once more):

- Please add the keyword "swamp" to all the vmt files to make texture filtering easier. Valve has implemented this feature and I think it might be good to use it (they could have done this with the alpine theme too). I've already done this for myself; it's not a lot of work to change all the vmfs.

- You can easily create an animated version of the algae by copy&pasting this code from the Lilly_01a material:
Code:
 "$temp" "[0 0]"
 "$curr" 0.0
 "$curr2" 0.0

"Proxies"
 {
		"Sine"
		{
			"sineperiod" "11"
			"sinemin" -0.005
			"sinemax" 0.005
			"resultVar" "$curr"
		}
		"Sine"
		{
			"sineperiod" "7"
			"sinemin" 0.005
			"sinemax" -0.005
			"resultVar" "$curr2"
		}

"Equals"
		{
			"srcVar1" "$curr2"
			"resultVar" "$temp[0]"
		}
		"Equals"
		{
			"srcVar1" "$curr"
			"resultVar" "$temp[1]"
		}

"TextureTransform"
		{
			"translateVar" "$temp"
			"resultVar" "$basetexturetransform"
		}
	}
The static algae looks good on a small pond but on water_expensive it just feels wrong.

...Looking forward for more new content.

Last edited:

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
When will we see a release of some of the new content now that the contest is over?

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
This one's a quickie, I think. Could we have that excellent Intel symbol from the Intel sign as an overlay? (Like the Red A, Blu A, Red Left, etc. signs that Valve has)

Also - (1) the lamp post Bulb doesn't look lit, in game (even by the prefab setup). Could we get a second skin on that to make it self-ilum or brighter? Just seems that right now, when you run up to a lamp post and the env_sprite fades to proximity, it looks like it shouldn't be/isn't emitting light.
(2) Some of the textures/assets look almost HL2-ish. The ones that come to mind are the Deer Head trophy (the model is fantastic, just feel like the texturing could be muted slightly/ made a wee bit less contrast-y/ more painterly) and the swamp buble particle effect (similarly).

Otherwise - loving the EVERYTHING! Absolutely amazing job, guys - not just on your hard work but on your excellent concepting and choice of swamp as a theme as well!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Also - (1) the lamp post Bulb doesn't look lit, in game (even by the prefab setup). Could we get a second skin on that to make it self-ilum or brighter? Just seems that right now, when you run up to a lamp post and the env_sprite fades to proximity, it looks like it shouldn't be/isn't emitting light.

Use the prefab provided with the pack and compile you map [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=2994"]properly[/ame]
and you wont have that problem.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
K, I've made some bugs which swarm around a light (particle effect) here's a pic:
pl_wetlands0012.jpg

pl_wetlands0013.jpg

pl_wetlands0011.jpg

They look better in-game, honest!

Sho Nuff

Aug 30, 2009
Would it be possible to maybe create a type of straw roof texture? something like this: http://www.downtheroad.org/Asia/imagesb/Winky2/DSC03119.JPG Maybe a small straw prop so you could put it near the edge of the roof to make it look like straw overhanging the edge of the roof. And maybe like an old cedar shingle? see exmple here: http://z.about.com/d/miniatures/1/0/p/2/-/-/shinglrf.jpg

I think this would make it easier to create those huts that are on stilts to avoid the water. That would look cool in a swamp map.

Last edited:

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009

Blue552

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2009
I don't know if this fits into the theme but I was thinking the swamp pack would be really good to create a nuclear waste dump.

So maybe you could create some nuclear waste barrels and some green ooze to go with it.

Also a particle affect of a bubble popping on the lake surface would be pretty cool to make it seem more gooey.

Status
Not open for further replies.