snark's resource thread post dump

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
there is a model missing in the evil machine
Mp_energy is supposed to be there twice. one with skin 1 and the other with skin 2, both stacked in the same position.
I understand you don't put alternative skins in there and all but you seem to have placed all the machine's part so it's easy to use and ready to be pasted anywhere in an other map. I think most people will assume the evil machine is complete altho it's not.
I think it would be more convenient for everyone to have both skin in this as everyone seems to overlook the fact that there is two skin needed to produce the full effect.

btw, thank you for this. saves plenty of time and gives a better idea of props' proportions. having this is mandatory for anyone mapping in these darker days

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
But who would notice that there are two models there? I really don't want to start having duplicates though, it'll make my updating process more cumbersome. I might just leave a comment on all of it's pieces about that.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
I've discovered a minor issue in both single payload setups (hud doesn't say who capped points), and a semi-major issue in payload race (possible to bug the capture). Trying to get the latter worked out and then I'll update the library, but in the mean time I wanted to let you know.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
v1.2 June 16 2009 full changelog
• Fixed a potentionally map-breaking bug in payload race involving the points failing to be captured.
• Fixed single payload systems not displaying who captured what point in the death report box.
• Made a cleaner stage transition in MSPL using TeleportToPathTrack

Thanks to Smashman's ridiculous cart pushing techniques for finding the PLR bug which also led to me fixing the single payload stuff.

Got those done, grab the new version if you've been making either. The important changed entities to look at and/or copy over are:
PLR: The CPs and the path_tracks under them.
SSPL/MSPL: The CPs, the path_tracks under them, the final path_track, and the pit trigger.

Last edited:

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
What are the specific changes? I've already got it set up in my map and I really don't want to lay out all the path_tracks again.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
the path_track related to each CP should have these. PLR gained the second one, SSPL/MSPL gained the first and had the second altered.
OUTPUT|TARGET|INPUT|PARAMETER|DELAY
OnPass|<trigger_capture_area>|CaptureCurrentCP||0
OnPass|<related cp>|SetOwner|<2 for red, 3 for blue>|0.1

For SSPL/MSPL:
- the SetControlPoint input to the trigger_capture_area was moved from OnPass on the path_track to OnCapTeam2 on the CP
- the pit trigger had the capture output removed.

But... you should just be able to re-copy the CPs and their respective path_tracks over and be good to go. (and copy any custom outputs into the path_tracks)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Once again, thanks for providing this! We definately wouldn't see this many contest entries without your plr setup.

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
First off, I want to say this is awesome! :D

Second off, I am a noob and have a question... Is it possible to in Hammer select a bunch of objects in an area? I want to just copy out the one I need, and unfortunately I am finding I have to just cntrl click on each object in the area, and I have a feeling there is a better way to do this. Is there? Or do I just need to get started on the mass cntrl clicking....

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
You can drag a selection box in the 2D views (may have to hit enter, depending on your Hammer settings). However that will also copy all the unneeded brushes. If you use the visgroups panel you can click on the name of the gametype you want, and hit the "mark" button to select all of them.

Howling

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2009
Boojum, your work is of marvelous excellence. It's made learning how to map for TF again much, much easier! Truly a great effort! Props!

BlueDarkness

Jun 11, 2009
I'm afraid that after using the library to make a 3-Stage CP map that there is a slight problem. When I attempt to run the map I made using the entities provided, I am unable to capture a point. To be more specific, when the map is run both available control points are locked. At first I believed it was because the cp_1A Keyvalue "Blue Previous Required Point 1" was cp_1A, but it was not the solution. So my questions are:

What needs to be fixed in order to make the first control point work, or is it because I am running the map through Hammer instead of in a server.?

That and I noticed that the rounds are backwards. The Keyvalue "Priority" for the first round must be the highest value where the last round must be the lowest. So while the first spawn is in the round 1 area, the actual first round takes place in round 3. However, Red still spawns in round 3 at the final spawn point.

How would I be able to fix the various spawn points to match which round they are relating to?

Otherwise thank you for the very unique and useful libraries that you have supplied. Please continue!

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
You must have changed or forgotten something. The system works fine here on my end.

Setting a point to require itself is a special case that tells the game no requirements. It's not usually needed for linear maps but I do it anyway.
The rounds are also played in correct order for me. Highest priority goes first (the priorities should be backwards from round number), I'm not sure how you got them to run wrong.

Vekter

Jun 14, 2009
Awesome pack. I love it; it just plain looks better than the Valve one.

BlueDarkness

Jun 11, 2009
Well this may definitely be an error on my part. Hopefully I will be able to find a solution. If not than I will attempt to run the map in-game and see if that makes a difference.

Yourself

Jun 13, 2009
What I did instead was use a single math_counter and a logic_case. Red winning either round would add 2 to the counter, Blue winning would add 3. This means after both rounds the only possible values are 4, 5 or 6. Then when the third round starts I just tell the counter to send it's value to the case which then teleports both carts according to the value.

Why 2 and 3? The same would be true for 1 and 2. Or n and n+1 for that matter.