snark's resource thread post dump

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The trigger_capture_areas start disabled, and are enabled upon setup end. Did you happen to remove the setup time and not change the start disabled setting?

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
No setup time works. its 1 minute 10 seconds, but after it counts down I cant move the cart. Could it be because I didnt add the setup doors yet?

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
ok i think i know what happened all my outputs got deleted once when I did a fix all and it deleted thse because I had them off to the side on my map.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The train prefab sounds like a good idea. Valve seemed to have left out well in their SDK update, in which the official vmf's were released. Both versions.

MrSinistar

L2: Junior Member
Feb 5, 2008
YES!!! YES!!! Thank you so much, Boojum!!

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
What's next? An Elevator's package. That would be sweet.

Nah, but serious, you have the skills to make some awesome things. You should serious think about making your own set of explosion pit endings. The valve ones are good but there needs to be more variety and not all of us know how to model so using the goldrush and badwater stuff is about the best we have right now.

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
Explosions are models, I have no experience in modeling, along with the fact they generally need to be customized to the map itself to look good.

Not necessarily. If it's somewhat standardized in shape and size, people can always fit it to their map. I mean, that's what we do right now with Goldrush and Badwater, with exception for those few that know how to model.

And really, not all of them need custom models. You could make a set of pits using brushwork and displacement, along with TF2 props such as barrels and such. I for one would like to see and ending where the pit doesn't blow up, but rather maybe the track ends at the begging of a closed mineshaft filled with TNT and the explosion explodes outwards more then upwards.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
And elevators?
do not belong in TF2. If someone finds a way to make one work well in the gameflow, good for them. But I'm not going to encourage it with prefab boring elevators.

Not necessarily. If it's somewhat standardized in shape and size, people can always fit it to their map. I mean, that's what we do right now with Goldrush and Badwater, with exception for those few that know how to model.

And really, not all of them need custom models. You could make a set of pits using brushwork and displacement, along with TF2 props such as barrels and such. I for one would like to see and ending where the pit doesn't blow up, but rather maybe the track ends at the begging of a closed mineshaft filled with TNT and the explosion explodes outwards more then upwards.
There is no such thing as a "standard shape and size". Go take a look around at all the final points in PL maps, they're all different. There isn't any way to make a standardized explosion that won't end up with pieces going through walls or floating in the air.

Above all, however, is that this is completely out of the scope and reason of prefabs. Prefabs are for things used very often and are expected to function with relative similarity across all maps, so that it's easy to put them in properly. A finale is used once per map, and only in payload maps, and seeing the same cinematic explosion in several maps would end up being less than wonderful.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
:wow:
Ah great, I was looking for a soundscape library, great work Boojum.

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
STOP IT! I CAN'T POSSIBLY LOVE YOU MORE!!!

:) Thanks you have NO idea how helpful these libraries have been to a new mapper like myself.