[Particles] Weather Effects with Collisions!

Stolen_Goods

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2013
I don't know how to edit the pcf or txt's properties in the bsp to label them as "maps" or "particles". How do I do this?

Blinx

L69: Deviant Member
Mar 14, 2016
Sorry to necro this but I'd really like this particle but the download link doesn't work anymore. Anyone still have it?

Fewer

Jan 14, 2018
How To Install and Pakrat

• Place the particles_manifest.txt in your tf/maps folder
  • Rename it to yourmap_particles.txt
  • Pakrat the .pcf from your particles folder and the .txt
  • Edit the location of each item so it reads as 'particles' for the .pcf and 'maps' for the .txt

Hey, I'm a little lost, I'm not exactly the most well-informed with game files and all that. I've got as far as moving the particles_manifest.txt into my tf/maps folder and renaming it to mymapnamehere_particles.txt, but I'm not sure where to put the .pcf files, nor am I sure how to 'pakrat' these files, though I did read a comment here saying it's only for if you're distributing the map.
Once the map is done I'm planning to put the .bsp in a .zip file and send it to a friend to run on his server, do I need to worry about pakratting anything?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
The .pcf files go in your /tf/particles folder.
As per "pakrating", Pakrat is a program used to pack custom content into a map. Whenever you include content (textures, props, particles, etc) that aren't included in TF2 by default, you need to pack this content into your map for other players to see it. Pakrat is just one of a few programs that can do this. IMO the best option for this is CompilePal, which not only packs custom content, but also runs the Valve Hammer compile tools and includes a bunch of features that streamline the process of compiling your map.

Fewer

Jan 14, 2018
The .pcf files go in your /tf/particles folder.
As per "pakrating", Pakrat is a program used to pack custom content into a map. Whenever you include content (textures, props, particles, etc) that aren't included in TF2 by default, you need to pack this content into your map for other players to see it. Pakrat is just one of a few programs that can do this. IMO the best option for this is CompilePal, which not only packs custom content, but also runs the Valve Hammer compile tools and includes a bunch of features that streamline the process of compiling your map.

I've been here like a week and you've helped me out about 3 times now. Thanks mate!

toniweaver

Jul 10, 2020
sorry to necro this once again but after the original download went i got the rain particles from blinx help but ive been trying to get the particles_manifest somehow. do i have this somewhere or was it just lost in the new download link? i found this from an old map and tried reworking that file to look like this:
particles_manifest
{
"file""!particles/rain_with_collision.pcf"
}
but it doesnt seem to work, but if it is right maybe ive done something else stupid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yoshark

L3: Member
Jul 29, 2016
@beatblocks check out this VDC entry: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_manifest.txt
you need to name the manifest file either one of these in order for it to work.
  • maps\<map name>_particles.txt (per-map)
  • particles\<map name>_manifest.txt (per-map)
(Also, be glad that I decided to glace at the forums. Discord takes up most of this community's attention since a response there is just faster)

toniweaver

Jul 10, 2020
thanks for the help :), i got it to work. also i am in the discord i just figured itd be better to ask here idk