WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Goblinoid

L1: Registered
Sep 22, 2010
Hey guys, I've been mulling over some map concepts and I wanted to share/get feedback. Currently just sketchup models, but the intention is to make a pronounced high-ground/low-ground KotH battlefield, specifically featuring rooftops. The CP located the level below the center building's roof. Night-city themed; RED and BLU are both breaking into a third party's spytech office lair to take over their operations, but run into each other and, of course, duke it out.

I'm really unsure how I want to break up the interior space and the heights between buildings; I like the idea of rooftop battles without instakill drops off of every ledge and sneaky alleyways to get behind enemy lines. Do I give a spawn out to the rooftops themselves? I like lots of vertical space, but how much is too much, especially for travel times up stairwells, etc.?

Original concept
Top-down view
Top-down view with spawn markers and tight orange alleys (2x player width)
1st floor (indoor spaces)
2nd floor (light grey = rooftops)
3rd floor
4th floor

Current concept
mapconcept002a.jpg

Goblinoid

L1: Registered
Sep 22, 2010
Definitely, but hopefully the indoor space and lack of deathpits would help balance that a little. Making a rough draft in Hammer atm.

matou

L2: Junior Member
Oct 25, 2008
no death drops but where do you end up if i fall off of the highest platform? stuck at the bottom or do you find yourself in a new path.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
space space space space:
gooba: gooba: gooba:

health_gooba_wip1.jpg

Last edited:

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Those healthkits are awesome.

A new map I'm half working on while I replan swamplands, plr_kablooey:
overhead.JPG

I'm thinking the spawns are too close to the cart and too far away from the finale...

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
These are all not textured, just colored (same for the health packs)
Gotta see how they turn out ingame. Just some props gathering at the start to see where the journey will go :)

ammo_gooba_wip1.jpg

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Yeh, i gotta see if i ever get over the logical flaws of the theme :D
After my superawesome picture manipulation with one of hydro's pictures, i kinda have a feeling for the space thing as a whole. Yet it may all end up in one single modification with all classes wearing space helmets in order to overcome the logical barrier. Cause only insides, i don't like that idea too much. We'll see, it's all just an experiment in the end :)

hydro_space.jpg

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Yeh, we'll see what comes out of this. Generally one could reuse lots of tf2 content with just an exquisite round of props to choose from in additition, like the swamp pack. I gotta talk to gooba, he's got many cool ideas. But like i said - might burst like a bubble. And majority of mapping guys is against a space theme anyways ^^
I'll just open up a thread/blog, once we've got some more stuff to show.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
There can be a lot of room in space:

764px-Spacecolony3edit.jpeg

Remember, it's fantasy spytech. Can go to extremes that reality likely never will.

Kep