Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Other/unusual

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wcstorm

L1: Registered
Mar 31, 2008
So is the community project dead in the water or still in development? I'd like to join in, but I'm unsure of what is in need. Skilled in almost all areas, but for the most part I usually do block work, lighting, and detailing.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
We've got one and a half stages blocked out, and evidently a LOT of eager detailers. rest assured that once the blocking is done and out of the way this project will (or at least should) be rolling along nicely.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I can do more layouts if you need. Seems there's not a lot going on layout-wise right now....

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
This is dead, isn't it? I'm 0 for 2 with these community projects it seems =/

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
It's not dead, but it seems the blockers are. Zwiffle, if you want to pick up a stage and revive this, go ahead. Any and all blocking is open to whoever thinks they can do it.

Aug 10, 2009
:( there needs to be a way to hold people to their commitments. I would suggest for the next (not too high of hopes for this) one that you instead make a group of 8-10 mappers who can closely collaborate over map features. Truth be told though, I don't see the point of doing that unless you're doing something pretty big, so go big I guess :p

Example would be 2 official block out guys, but they run designs by everyone until the group is generally happy, they block out while talking to the optimizers, all those guys work it through the early alpha stages and motions, then they hand it off to the detailers, who do their work, and wrap it up with some final optimization.

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
I'll try and do some stuff this weekend, but no promises. (SC2Beta, Monster Hunter Tri, SSF4, The Passing, you get the idea.) But I'll get something out there.

If any of the detail guys have anything they want to show me that they might want incorporated into the map, like if you have a cool idea for some trench-like paths that you think would look cool, I'll try to think up something.

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Well zwiffle, which part of the map do you want to do? I believe we have the first one and a half stages done, and I'll see what I can help with. Until you get back I'll see what ideas I can get down for stage 3.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Have we yet set a theme in stone? If not, that could be why blockers aren't doing their work. It's hard to imagine a world without any idea of theme.

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
CP_???
Map name voting is now in. Whoever can post the most suiting name will be chosen, based on general consensus of the participants (if it isn't a landslide it will be a vote). Keep in mind the current premise of the map:
RED has several observation and warfare bases positioned throughout the swamp. All supplies, information and general distribution is handled by the temporary company 'Reliable Efficient Distribution', which dolls out rockets, chemicals and non-descript crates for the hidden bases. So a good name would incorporate something related to distribution or resale, as well as a very secluded swamp. This also brings me to the first requests for custom content. A large, square delivery van would be nice, as well as a poster for the distribution company (my current name for it is terrible, so come up with another one if you can). I would also like participants to take a look here, here and here since that custom content will prove quite useful.

First stage will begin from some kind of entrance point (a river or otherwise) and will progress through dense swamp and trees. The transition from first to second stage will be the first weapons research station. The second stage will be from there, through somewhat thinner swamp, leading up to the observatory/weapons guidance station. Finally, in the third stage, BLU will progress from there to the Distribution warehouse. Cars, tracks and airboats will litter the surrounding area, and the warehouse itself will be a giant concrete spytech structure concealed withing a massive wooden structure (somewhat simmilar to the vignette below). I understand that I have already told you to begin blocking, but try to keep this in mind. Remember to study any swamp references you can, because swamp is very difficult to get right (even in terms of blocking).
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=146950&postcount=59
I even attached pictures. Happy?

honorum646

Oct 9, 2009
Okay, I see you've missed my problem with this.

I posted my ideas, got some feedback from two people and that worked fine. On the other hand I also have sent TWO different messages to you Tapp and in turn have recieved NO responses or actions on your part. I also asked TWO questions, both which have gone 100% ignored. I even asked you to add me on Steam so I could consult, but to no avail.

If you wanted me to do something, bring it to my attention in a more direct fashion. I don't constantly trolk the forums, and when I do look, I usually check the recent posts.
Send zwiffle my vmf and let him work with it.

Thank you and good day.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm sorry that you're disappointed with the amount of attention that we've been paying to the team, but Tapp and I are both coordinators. That means that if you have a question that needs a response and you are unable to get one from him, please forward the question to me and I'll be sure to get you a response, whether from Tapp's words or if I have to answer it myself. Please be aware that I'm not as active as Tapp on the project, but I'm available at any time if you need a question answered.

Mr. Wimples

Jan 27, 2010
Realistically, this doesn't seem like something that will go smoothly. Too many people trying to collaborate at once. To me it would be more feasible with work from about 5 mappers, then vote-based feedback from the entire community. But then again, I'd pay someone to prove me wrong. Best of luck to all of you working on it!

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Okay, I see you've missed my problem with this.

I posted my ideas, got some feedback from two people and that worked fine. On the other hand I also have sent TWO different messages to you Tapp and in turn have recieved NO responses or actions on your part. I also asked TWO questions, both which have gone 100% ignored. I even asked you to add me on Steam so I could consult, but to no avail.

If you wanted me to do something, bring it to my attention in a more direct fashion. I don't constantly trolk the forums, and when I do look, I usually check the recent posts.
Send zwiffle my vmf and let him work with it.

Thank you and good day.

I apolagise but I don't recall these questions. I must have deleted them when I cleared my inbox, so I don't know what those questions actually were. Anyway, if anybody wants to finish honorum's contribution, the vmf is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4410044/TF2MAPCOMPILATION/cp_area3.vmf

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
@honorum, I can only say that, without knowing the nature of the questions sent, since this is a community project feel free to post them in this forum to get community feedback. It is a community project after all, and Tapp is pretty much just organizing the community feedback and providing direction where necessary. It's not like you're just taking Tapp's orders and implementing them in Hammer - it's a group project.

You yourself said you posted ideas here and got feedback and that was cool, so why wouldn't you continue to do that? Providing ideas here and generating discussion among the participants is how we should be doing it anyway. If you want to know something like "How should I handle this 2nd cap point, should it be more vertical?" or something, by all means post it in this forum.

As for trolking the forums (I assumed you meant trolling) but getting involved in a community project pretty much means being involved heavily with the thread associated with it. I don't see how you could join this and expect to just skim the thread here and there, it doesn't work like that. Just subscribe to the thread and check any updates when you get home or before you go to bed or something so you're up to speed.