Model Team Furniture 2 Project

KWVance

L2: Junior Member
Jan 29, 2020
Bonus Ducks!
good i thought it might have been a bit much. today i spent time working on the texture for the sink. the texture should be finished by tomorrow. Ill also probably modify one of the kitchen cabinets i made earlier to make the medicine cabinet/mirror. Ive also been editing a pre-exisiting toilet model. after that all bathroom and kitchen stuff is done!

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
sink finished

Attachments

• Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    770.6 KB · Views: 313

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
Today I created the medicine cabinet and ironing board. Since they're relatively small pieces of furniture I don't believe its worth making a preview image for until they're textured. It pretty much looks how you would expect.

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
everything necessary is made, and UVed. the reason I say necessary is because things like recliners and dish washers arent really needed for homes. I may make them eventually, or think of some other things later on...but for now all that is left is texturing. UGH...I just remembered...then I have to do normal and exponent maps UGH! I should probably remake the toilet too... A tf2 model exists, but you didn't really see chain flush toilets in homes, even back in the 60s, and the texture is shitty, not that its poorly made, the texture is literally covered in shit stains... anyway, before I begin to ramble, here are the new models I made today. Along with a shot of everything made so far.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 310

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
Textured 3 things today. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason the cabinet doesn't look right to me. let me know if you think you know why. I'm rather happy with the other textures though. I have to hurry and finish this, or find a successor. I can feel myself getting burned out. :( It annoys me, I'm always like this. I get an interest, then I'm 110% about that specific thing, then a couple months later its dead to me. It's annoying as hell because I never finish anything.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 297

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
Ok almost done retexturing the kitchen stuff. I also went into several textures and airbrushed out the UV seems. Kind of procrastinating texturing the home office desk, because I'm not quite sure what textures to even start with. But since this project is almost done, a release of the assets is going to happen soon. However, I have no idea how to make this compatible with TF2, SFM, or Gmod. Idk how big the objects are supposed to be or how they should be oriented so that they will be imported at correct size and facing the right direction. Every program is a little different when it comes to that. I don't know how to make bodygroups for things like the open/closed shower curtains. I also have never converted textures to valve formats like .vtf and .vtx before. Would anyone be willing to help me with any of this?

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
Today I finished the toilet texture. I also added water to the toilet and bathtub. I resized some of my models to be the correct size for hammer because I'm working on learning how to make it compatible with source. Because of this, progress might slow down for a while while I learn this. But to keep people interested in the project, I think its about time I give you all a better look at the project. more than just screenshots. That is why I have included a link to my google drive. This zipped folder contains about half of the models and textures I have made so far. All in the .FBX format.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.png
    Untitled-2.png
    437.4 KB · Views: 246

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
I've been working hard on figuring out plugins, tutorials and what not to figure out how to make these models actually compatible with valve programs. I also finished the finer details for the kitchen counters/cupboards. now available in blue

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 272

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
damn...i got distracted again and ended up making even MORE stuff. I need to start converting files and things like that so people can actually USE them :mad:

anyway...I ended up making a vacuume.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 250

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
GREAT NEWS! I posted a thread on steam about the project and a user by the name "Pte Jack" was eager to help. I didn't even get a chance to reply before he commented on my profile that he had ported all my released model files to SFM. He added bones to the laundry furniture so they open and close without request. What is difficult for me seems to be easy for him, because he did it to "blow off steam" from his current project. Which I highly recommend you check out. Hes done tons of models for the steam workshop.

Attachments

• ZjWl3RC.png
    ZjWl3RC.png
    738.3 KB · Views: 269
  • zn4QDV7.png
    zn4QDV7.png
    768.8 KB · Views: 328

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
As a minor critique, your models seem to have nothing in the way of baked ambient occlusion. I believe 3D modeling apps have a built-in feature for that, but I couldn't tell you what the ideal settings for this style are. @Freyja used to have a modeling tutorial that included some good specs, but she took it down. Maybe you could ask her. I think it's also good practice to apply it to any specular maps that you might be making.

Also, how about an alternate skin for the toilet that has a wooden seat and lid? That was popular back in the day.

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
As a minor critique, your models seem to have nothing in the way of baked ambient occlusion. I believe 3D modeling apps have a built-in feature for that, but I couldn't tell you what the ideal settings for this style are. @Freyja used to have a modeling tutorial that included some good specs, but she took it down. Maybe you could ask her. I think it's also good practice to apply it to any specular maps that you might be making.

Also, how about an alternate skin for the toilet that has a wooden seat and lid? That was popular back in the day.
sure i can do that.

KWVance

Jan 29, 2020
texturing the vacuum and reading up on AO maps today

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 209