Stark

CP Stark b2

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've made some heavy changs to the initial spawns and of the walk distance, heres some tables:

Map | walk time as scout
Old | 26
New | 19
Granary | 21
Badlands | 18
Yukon | 16
Well | 22 (expluding setup gates)

And some captimes (as scout)
Map | mid | 4th | 5th
Youme | 22 | 12 | 4
Granary | 16 | 8 | 4
Badlands | 14 | 12 | 2

These are based on me counting in my head so they might be off by a second or so, but now i know my cap times are much longer for mid and 4th I'm gunna drop them a tad.

aaand stark is the new name :)

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
The random brushes are placeholders for more inventive cover later on ;)

I'll not change any layout, two small tests isn't enough to draw conclusions yet but I'll make some small tweaks and get _b2 out today or tomorrow.

Perhaps not on a attack/ defend map, but remember that 5 point cap is symetrical so that team balance is pretty much fair anyway. Changing things won't have such a drastic effect as in other game modes.
Like the name as well :)

Laggy

L2: Junior Member
May 28, 2009
Alright this are just my thoughts and things I saw while doing a quick run through of your map. The views I am pointing out here are for competitive 6v6 play.

Unscreenshotted notes:

I: The last spawn is very far from the last point impossible for the team to defend it if they are respawning, or with a medic that has just respawned.

II: Too many hallways will make it very spammy, If there needs to be hallways for some odd reason try making them a bit bigger and with different routes through them, so a demo can't just sticky off one wall and not let anyone pass, keeping in mind not to create TOO many routes.

III. It is quite hard to rocket jump with all the hallways try making certain paths where height is enabled.

IV: Creating advantageous spots for roaming soldiers for example the tower above the middle point on fast lane, where he can post himself up there fire rockets hide reload and heal up there this map needs more of them.

Screenshots + notes.

cpyoumea30011.jpg

Last point area a demo can hop up there easily, and sticky trap it, I suggest putting a player clip,

cpyoumea30006.jpg

Many if not all of your hallways can me seen through (possibly shot through) from the top a rocket jump can easily achieve this view.

cpyoumea30004.jpg

Don't put too many HP packs all over the place, a good way to monitor this would be playing as soldier finding the quickest route to the middle, and placing 2 or 3 HP packs, a good way to create a balance is placing a very low ammount of mid sized packs for instance in badlands there is only 2 places which are in the middle point.

cp_youme_a30000.jpg

Getting medi kits shouldn't be a whole obstacle, My suggestions would be lower the height of the block just enough to be able to jump from the crate, also delete the mid sized one behind it showed in the next shot.

cpyoumea30003.jpg

There is a hole in the wall! =)

There you go my thoughts and opinions! I might post more if I remember any or see any.

Memento Mori

L2: Junior Member
Mar 25, 2008
Doesn't look like there's any real way to flank around the point on middle or any cover on the point? That will limit strategy to whoever gets a lucky rocket on the medic first. Only looked at the overview though... I'll try and get into a playtest later on.

Feb 14, 2008
I think middle is a little linear for a 5 CP map yes, there's not much flanking opportunity as in Badlands and Granary, it does feel a little cramped for what should be a raging and tactical battle, it just felt like whoever got onto their balcony and raped their team won.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Don't lock your players in on mid like I first had in Yukon, which is what middle is like now... add another route on each side of middle that'll let people get out of the heat for a bit. The linearity is definitely something you should address at this level...

That health pack Laggy mentioned at Last atop the little thing got me killed, I was trying to hop up there as soldier (since it looks manageable) and got raped in the midst of it

Looking forward to the next version-

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Got _a4 out here's the changelog:

Alpha 4 released 19/08/09:-

* Reduced walk time from spawn to middle point.
* Reduced size of 1st and 2nd cp areas.
* Reworked initial spawns to condense them and shorten walk times.
* Set directional signs to non-solid.
* Renamed 'Stark'
* Added a new route at the middle point.
* Miscellaneous small tweaks

I'll submit this one to the next EU gameday too :)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
you should consider using more conventional spawns

Even I felt that it was a bit awkward with 6 second defender spawn and insta attacker spawns

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
you should consider using more conventional spawns

Even I felt that it was a bit awkward with 6 second defender spawn and insta attacker spawns

Blame boojum if they're off, they're exactly what he set in his library.

tarmo-

L3: Member
Dec 10, 2008
NOTE: this is feedback from 1 (one) 6on6 test

- 1st cp hard to defend?
- less corridors, more "free space" -> faster traveling with soldier/demo, walking from point to point is dull and boring ;)
- middle "bridges" -> add small(?) fence behind the bridges = more spam to higher grounds?
- spawntimes higher (attackers instaspawns at the moment)
- mapsize was ok (not so serious comment: maybe shrink the map abit more? though it might affect that the map is still on dev-textures)

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Size is percieved in funny ways in dev textures and with more detail there will be less space. What's more important is walk times, and as you say jump times.

I'll also check the spawn times, it seems boojum's library is not to be trusted as much as i do.. :p nothing personal booj

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
  • Higher powers
  • Larger brush sizes (so you're altering a lot of points together)
  • Lower distance ammounts (so you can take your time moving points and you dont suddenly get peaks)
  • The smooth tool afterwards
  • Last but not least a very small radius (~1) and low distance size (<=1) to manually alter anomalous verticies.

For reference, I logged all the respawn times for all official maps on tf2wiki
http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/respawn_times

(Except Hoodoo... because you make it so damn complicated :p)
Maybe I should add those.. or maybe I should just put "0" for all of them and acdept that the instant respawn servers rape my map.