Feature Request: Standardized and Bot-Proof Contact Information

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
As an asset creator, I want people to know how to contact me outside this website. In my profile settings I see no dedicated contact information spot, at best there is a thing called "Identities" where I can post my steam and twitter links. I want people to know what my email address is, but that has led to an annoyingly huge wave of spam mails.

YouTube solves this problem by having a specific "For business inquiries:" field in the "About" tab of your channel. To actually read it, you need to solve a captcha. Here is an example:
1690088927429.png

With this, there is a standardized way to figure out how to contact somebody and there is no fear that shitty spambots will use this information.

I wish for a similar feature on this site. Integrating an actual captcha is probably hell, but there has to be something you guys can do.

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
There's nothing natively built into xenforo that fills the captcha need. There's the user field, but that is publicly accessible regardless of if a user is logged in or not. There's a plugin for Xenforo 1 but we're on Xenforo 2, so we cannot use it as plugins are not interchangable (this was a headache during migration). If a XF2 plugin is found we can think about adding it.