Devil's Cornfield

Devil's Cornfield - plr_cornfield C1

Sep 12, 2008
Gameday bump! I didn't make it, but what did you think of the map? The new stage, did you like it? Hints, tips, <3s, ...?

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
The running joke was "needs more corn"

"I was told there would be corn"

etc.

Seriously, though, I thought it played pretty good

First stage: I didn't much like the two gates facing eachother. One team spams the other inside, and it turns into a camping situation while they cap. There are other paths available, maybe make them more prominent, or more obvious? The other option would be to widen that gate, and maybe put some cover between them, to block the sniper spam...

Second stage: I really like it. Actually feels like a race! (unlike pipeline imo)

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The new stage seemed a little too big/open to me. As Sniper/Demoman you were able to shoot into the other teams' setup area too; if I were no shoddy Sniper I could probably have killed some fully charged Medics. It's not too bad as the areas you can hit are quite small so you can leave it in, just not fully sure you know about it.

One team (mine of course) got steamrolled quite badly, on both stages. It seemed spawncamping while having two or three players at the cart was the winning strategy, so either move the spawn rooms back or make alternative routes more obvious/viable.

Sep 12, 2008
Alright, thanks for the reactions guys, I'll look to it when I have more time. If you have more comments, let them come!

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
well..i liked new,stage2 i allows to quick deffent if one team advance too fast as the "attacking route is longer than "defending" one. great
third stage got some layout problems..as if the enemy passes that slope,its very hard to stop..ill add a screen with my layout suggestions

Sep 12, 2008
Small bump, I'm currently working on the last stage again, to fix the long sightline problem a bit, and make the beginning a bit more attractive. Hope to get it ready for a gameday test this weekend :D

Edit: Oh, and here's a screenshot for y'all:
plr_cornfield_a30002.png

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009

Limesimme

L1: Registered
Dec 23, 2008
Nice map. I've got two things, though.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_cornfield_a3a0001.jpg
This door goes through the roof. It's outside a spawn...possibly the second stage.

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_cornfield_a3a0002.jpg
http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1490725/plr_cornfield_a3a0000.jpg
I'm on RED, but I see the respawn room visualizers for my respawn. I can go through them, but they're there.

Yeah. I didn't get what he meant at first while playing, like if he experienced the opening like a closed areaportal or something, then I figured :3

Sep 12, 2008
ALPHA 3a IS OUT!
I had some tests with a3, but it had some sneaky bugs so I didn't release it, but hey! Here's a3a!

What's changed:
- Players can now (rocket)jump over the setup exit in stage 2.
- Fixed the spawndoor bug in stage 2.
- Added a custom explosion particle + sound.
- Added several other custom particles.
- Changed a lot to the middle of the final stage.
- Made the tracks cross in the final stage.
- Detailed both spawns in the final stage.
- Added a full health and full ammo to the center building in the final stage.
- I think that's all for now..

Right, here are some screenshots for you:
plr_cornfield_show0000.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0001.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0002.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0003.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0004.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0005.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0006.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0007.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0008.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0009.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0010.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0011.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0012.jpg

plr_cornfield_show0013.jpg

DOWNLOAD NOW: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2055
Enjoy! I hope to get it on a gameday this weekend or the next. :D

DBP

Last edited:

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
Hope that idea about crossing track will play well

Hellfire

Jul 9, 2008
some issue-shot

also,we got stuck in cart near stage3 final cap

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Clip this off. It's annoying as hell to get stuck on.

SS-2009.07.31-18.12.36.jpg

Is this intended?

SS-2009.07.31-18.13.23.jpg

Overlay alignment! D:

SS-2009.07.31-18.15.56.jpg

Also, there isn't a func_respawnroom on the 3rd stage at least for RED meaning that you can't change class without dieing first. Oh, and enemies can get inside the spawns on Stage 2 due to the lack of respawn visualisers.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
As blu you can get in the red spawns in stage 2 and stage 3.

But I think everyone already has said the main issues. :p

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I like the idea of the long hill chokepoint, i think you should keep it but you might need to rework those areas a little as they get very spammy. But we always managed to get up the hill.

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
Just played it for the first time at game day and wanted to share my thoughts.

I like the pace of the map in general, it is very fast and I never once saw it turn into a grindfest like can happen on most PLR maps.

The first point felt a little bit weird, the tracks weren't intertwined at all, as well as setting up defenses was hard as you don't have access to where the other team is going. I do like the general layout though of a +, where you really have to choose whether to attack or defend.

For the second stage, for the love of all things holy, please fix the respawn room visualized. Blu could get people into Reds spawn and it kinda became a meat grinder where red would spawn and just die.

The point at the end could use a little more in terms of walk ways as it is hard to stand by the cart to push it in.

The noise at the end is funny at first, but gets old REALLY quickly. Also, it really doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the TF2 sounds.

All in all though I really like it, definitely one of my favorite PLR maps so far.