Converge

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Change the barrels to blue! And maybe the railings to black. Looks great otherwise though.

Anyway, about the test. This still remains my favorite Invade CTF map, but Sentry Guns are such a big issue it's not even funny. There are many sentry positions in the intel room that are hard to attack, because you're either coming through a tiny doorway, or the defenders' spawn is right next to you. In neither case do you have a good angle before you step out into the big room, at which point you will die.

This time I tried to go Spy and get rid of BLU's three or four Sentries, but even with another Spy helping out we never got to a point where all Sentries were down and our team could advance. The Sentries on the barrels and the truck were nearly impossible to sap, and... Why is there a room exclusively for Sentries above the capture zone?

You should definitely remove some Sentry spots, and make it much easier to attack the Sentries. I'm thinking bigger, maybe more, entraces. Also, more health/ammo for the attackers?

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Why is there a room exclusively for Sentries above the capture zone?

Because I'm lazy and that is the remains of the old balcony that you could use a while ago. Take a look yourself, the room is still there from A2 but I lazily blocked the doors off with brushes. :p

Anyway I already changed the cap room slightly before the test but it seems I need to make a few more modifications.

cap.jpg

I've already closed off the left-entrance into the upper route to make it a more useful path that can't easily be disrupted by player's coming straight out of spawn. I'm also thinking of opening the window back up, adding a drop-down from upper to the cap room and adding health along the same path too. I'll see what I can do about the sentry spots because it's a fine line between a cap room that is defendable or undefendable in both 6 v 6 and 12 v 12 play. The area hasn't really changed that much since A1 and even then I just slapped down a bunch of props without even placing any proper though behind it so I'll most likely end up changing the cap rooms quite a bit by keeping the general shape but playing around with the cover inside.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

Alpha 9

• Refined the cap room
  • Expanded top route to make it less narrow
  • Added more health and ammo around the map

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Though I haven't tested the new version, I think I'm going to remove one of the lower spawn exits, add one along the one-way route, then move the entire spawn slightly further away from the intel room.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You must have retrieved the wrong file or something because nobody is playing in that demo though the CEVO config loads up at the beginning.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
So, after a Run around, I got this

ctf_converge_a100001.gif

Just clipping on this door, nothing game breaking of course, just something to buff away. I actually found that in quite a few areas of the map things were clipped to a very blunt level. (Obvious giant cubes around any props etc..)

ctf_converge_a100000.jpg

And this, not too sure if it's been mentioned, but it's quite obvious and I'm therefore guessing there's not much you can do to fix it. Thought I might as well point it out, just in case, though.

Overall a fun map for fast paced gameplay. Hope the detailing goes well.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
So I watched the demo up to about 10-ish minutes after the match ended. Overall I'd like to think that the players enjoyed it and that it worked well considering that it was their first time playing it.

Spawn camping was an issue at some points but I've already moved the left exit leading to the one-way further down the corridor so you can't view it from the capture room. It's also receded into the wall so when you walk into the route from mid you're no longer in direct line-of-sight of the people leaving spawn. I might shave a couple of seconds of the respawn timers for the losing team from 5s to 3s to further help teams break out. It seemed that only Flame disliked the respawn timers whilst others thought differently so the usual timers may remain the same or they may be tweaked slightly.

Anyway, thanks for setting up the game, Shmitz. It was insightful and I appreciate it. Feel free to clarify your thoughts in the thread. :)

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
So players are going to prefer the left path generally simply because it's the furthest from the spawn, and there's less likelihood of running into freshly respawned opponents. Other factors, such as the sniper deck on the right side, will also push players over to the left side.

This isn't necessarily a problem. The issue comes in when the enemy is all sitting at their capture zone and you don't really have a lot of tactical options open to you other than "charge uber, push in, hope you can cap in the confusion". So, going on the basis that people are generally going to go left, here's my suggestion for something to add:

ctf_converge_a100000.jpg

ctf_converge_a100001.jpg

It gives attackers one more option without making them choose at mid, and it makes the spammy top path more viable. The enemy radar will tell them when you're taking the flag around that way, but because the top and bottom options are stacked, they won't know which path you're on until they have visual contact.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Oh...OH! It took me far too long to realise the second screenshot was viewing the map from underneath. :p Anyway that's a jolly good suggestion and I shall throw it into A11 which should be out sometime in the next 5 days.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
route1.jpg

route2.jpg

Alpha 11 - 22nd March
  • Added new route into the capture room
  • Moved the left exit out of spawn
  • Adjusted the respawn timers for the handicap mechanism from 5 seconds to 2 seconds.
  • Did some random and very rough detailing

DOWNLOAD NOW!