Resource icon

CP Cedarfall Mills a7

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
Well the reason that I want to simplify it is because players would have many door entrances that they could shoot into and I'm trying hard to lower that.

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Bumpity-bump. Alpha 4 is here!

Change Log:

- Removed cover off Cap 2 to make it easier for RED to defend
- Made the area to the left of the Cap 2 (from RED's point-of-view) more interesting and better suited for sentries
- Detailed the BLU Spawn area
- Blocked all but one sniperline (for balance reasons)
- Raised respawn times for both teams

Download link: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/322663/cp_cedarfall_a4.bsp.bz2

Some screenshots:

Cedarfall%20A4%20-%20Pic%2007.jpg

Cedarfall%20A4%20-%20Pic%2008.jpg

Cedarfall%20A4%20-%20Pic%2009.jpg

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Leetle bump - Alpha 4a released.
Realised I forgot to build cubemaps and made some minor changes on some other things.

Feedback would be appreciated :)

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
I'll be back on my PC in 5ish Days, this map is 11th or maybe even 10th on my "To do on my Computer when I get Back" List. :p.

I Kid. Can't Wait.

Also, the map name is making me hope to see some greenery in this release or at least the next, do not disappoint Phil, let's get this map into a nice Alpine theme.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
As we were all aware of, the second point is too easy to defend. You need to make it easier for BLU to hold the line.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Waah I really want to play this again :D

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Played this yesterday. Was pretty fun, but blu needs a bit of a leg-up, if you know what I mean.

The first point can be heavily camped, but it's possible to cap, the second point however, can be downright impermeable to Blu given enough sentries and a decent team. I think we only won that one once, when we completely steam rolled red.

What's causing this? Well, spawn times are playing their part I'm guessing. There's also the fact that red spawns right in front of the CP. On top of that, I don't really remember any good, somewhat safe, spots for blu to build up an offensive base.

So, first I'd say move the red spawn. Think goldrush, dustbowl... Etc. You gotta take a short walk from where you spawn to get to the actual point. Then maybe rework some of the areas between points, give blu some forward place for engies to set up shop. Leave respawn times for last, possibly after you do some changes.

Cheers.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I also noticed a couple of sentry gun locations that were almost unstoppable in the hands of a good engineer. For one, the doorway overlooking the area before point 1 is very effective from an engineer's perspective, even though it can be destroyed easily, because the engineer has enough cover to just build a new one without interference.

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
I also noticed a couple of sentry gun locations that were almost unstoppable in the hands of a good engineer. For one, the doorway overlooking the area before point 1 is very effective from an engineer's perspective, even though it can be destroyed easily, because the engineer has enough cover to just build a new one without interference.

Yeah I used that one. Got destroyed once. Just rebuild it.

That said, that was mostly due to team imbalances IMO. If you're referring to the particular round I'm thinking, red was steamrolling and blu just couldn't mount an effective offensive of any kind...

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Thanks for the really useful feedback guys, I appreciate it :)
I'm definitely going to consider tweaking the layout to be much more in BLU's favour. Below are some of the places I'm thinking of changing.

---

Nerdboy said:

I do now understand how effective that sentry spot is. The pathways around that area seemed to be very cramped to fight in, so I'm going to open those areas up and give BLU a bit more freedom over their attack.

Caliostro said:
So, first I'd say move the red spawn. Think goldrush, dustbowl... Etc. You gotta take a short walk from where you spawn to get to the actual point

Will do. I'm thinking of also putting a fence to the edge of the cap point area, similar to Dustbowl where you have to walk around the fence to approach the point instead of running straight to it.

Caliostro said:
Then maybe rework some of the areas between points, give blu some forward place for engies to set up shop.

In the area between the first and second points, I'm thinking of simplifying that whole area and making it a more suitable area for BLU to prepare their offence. Right now, I think it just seems like a couple of pathways that all lead up to the one area and doesn't really work for BLU.

Once again, thanks for the helpful feedback, it really helps as a sort of 'guideline' as to how I should design my map.

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Alpha 5 is released with changes mostly related to gameplay.

Changelog:

- Moved RED's spawn back
- Added a new sidepath to the Second Cap Point, and made small changes around that area
- Fence added to the side of the Second Cap Point
- Changes around Cap 1 area
- Minor detail changes
- All gameplay signs are now unable to be collided with

Download link: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/322663/cp_cedarfall_a5.bsp.bz2

pl

Mar 6, 2009
Thanks TPG - hopefully after enough testing I'll have a chance to start a second and third stage :)

pl

Mar 6, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, but today I'm reviving my 3-year old map, releasing alpha 6. I've done a fair amount of basic gameplay testing using the bots and I've made a few changes mostly related to the first capture point:

• First cap point area now slightly easier to defend through some small layout tweaks
  • When the last cap point is active, RED's spawn time decreases from 9 to 7 seconds
  • Certain areas around the first CP area are now more open
  • Added a few healthpacks/ammo where needed
  • Subtle optimization and brushwork changes

Hopefully the second change should be very minor - testing with bots showed many times where BLU quickly capped the last point. I'm guessing the same would be likely to happen in a real situation... but after a few games RED might be smart enough to stay on the last point in advance.

I guess it depends purely on the strategy of each team and not so much the map? I'm really not sure, and any kind of advice regarding this would be awesome. I'm feeling like I'll really need to start a second stage soon :)

Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/322663/Public Downloads/cp_cedarfall_a6.bsp.bz2

pl

Mar 6, 2009
*another bump*

If anyone remembers, my plan was to detail it completely alpine-style. I started some outdoor detailing and I'm thinking of mixing a bit of Well (see the red building) with an outdoor Sawmill-style setting. Obviously this is nowhere near done, but I think it's enough to show.

2012-04-25_00005.jpg

2012-04-25_00006.jpg

2012-04-25_00007.jpg