[WIP]dm_battledome

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
no addons required. its just server side using basic commands for timebomb, gravity and maybe infinite ammo. We were thinking of testing it with the potato being the only thing that gets low grav this way the pyros cant low grav jump up and double boost the guy away.

I had a small test today with 6 people on a friends server. Turns out not having resupply for normal play was hard so im ading a resupply, ammo and health packs also. I also made it so you can jump from the sniper deack out of one window incase of pyro attack, the fall will probably kill you but meh :) so alpha 2 will be up later.

I also renamed the map to dm_battledome_a2 since I forgot to add the prefix dm_ before.

joshman

L5: Dapper Member
May 7, 2008
Looking Nice so far, although I don't like the gamemode. Make it arena or something.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
You should make this a arena map. Also, this is way to sniper friandly atm :p

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Alright I started to texture the map and add some detailing in. Its actually starting to look pretty good.

dm_battledome_a30000.jpg

dm_battledome_a30001.jpg

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
I uploaded Alpha 3 which technically could be beta 1, but I decided to wait until it runs a full server timelimit to see if i wanna take it over to beta.

Changes is this version include Finished texturing, started detailing, minor optimising.

Ill upload photos tommorow now its time for sleep.

Ceiling Man

L3: Member
Jan 27, 2009
Is it just me? Or does this map seem like a Sentry spammer?

Unless you put func_nobuild down.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Only judging from the pics:

I don't know if I'd like the gamemode or not. Could probably be fun for a few minutes mixed in with a variety of other maps. I probably wouldn't play it for more than 15-20 minutes. But I don't agree with making it arena mode, it's too small and too open, deffinately would have to have respawn to be any fun. Runnning out the door once, dieing and waiting would suck.

Visually it looks pretty cool.
I really like the blu building. I think the red would look a little cooler if it had a tall tower on one side. Just to make it asym and a little more 'quirky'. The blu already has a little of that going.

I don't like the bricks on the side of the arches, looks wrong. I think if you made them maybe layered. Concrete, steel (colored steel), concrete sandvich would look better.

Of course it needs a bunch of blood stain decals all over the place :D

And maybe some stairways on either side so all classses can get back up top.

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Yea I wasnt dead set on the brick look either. My clan is playing ther game mode friday and saturday for our game night we do a different thing every week to keep things interesting :).

You really dont have to worry bout sentry spam on this map. Its soo fast paced if you can get a sentry up it usually doesnt last long.

For the spawn times I left it up to the server some people like instant some dont. so wahtever is set server side.

Here are the new pics.

dm_battledome_a30002.jpg

dm_battledome_a30003.jpg

dm_battledome_a30005.jpg

dm_battledome_a30006.jpg

dm_battledome_a30007.jpg

dm_battledome_a30008.jpg

dm_battledome_a30009.jpg

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
This looks very pretty and like the map should be, but I'm still hoping you'll be having some structures (arena-like structures, like in, say, WoW) and make it an arena map.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Looks very, very pretty. But the 3D skybox looks kinda empty.

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Its only a 2d skybox I havent gotten around to a 3d one yet. Not to mention I dont want to put a whole lot of detail outside the dome, since most of the time youll only se einside unless your in the tower or rocket/sticky jumping.

Vigilante212

Dec 21, 2008
Well I learned a few things on my map need a bit of changing. First off the open area worked great for the game mode we played. So i will likly keep a version of my map with it being open.

The next bit is I need to block the visability of the lower spawn doors to keep snipers from turtling inside them. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe parent some metal sheets to the doors, it may look odd, but it should work.

Ok now for the other version of the map im going to add cover in the center, the question is what kind. I dont want to loose too much play area, maybe just adding some more barricades like I have up top spaced about.

frothy

L2: Junior Member
Mar 3, 2009
Wow, that looks great. I love the battledome/western feel going on there.

Maybe an awning of some sort over the doors would shield some of the sniper fire since the tower windows seem rather high up.