Why do maps need a version suffix?

Diamondbacc

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2024
I can understand needing a game mode prefix for basic gameplay functionality, but why a version suffix? It doesn't seem necessary.

Solution
for example: if you were to submit your map to a maptest without a version suffix and it gets played and then you update it with the same filename, people who played the first version will be unable to download the new version and the game will give them a "map differs" error

gidi30

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2022
for example: if you were to submit your map to a maptest without a version suffix and it gets played and then you update it with the same filename, people who played the first version will be unable to download the new version and the game will give them a "map differs" error

Solution

Zeus

Not a Krusty Krab
aa
Oct 15, 2014
gidi30 gave the main reason but i also find that having versions conveys some kind of expectations about the map as well. "a" (alpha) maps are supposed to be very rough and not polished at all for example.

also i find having a versioned history of the map lets me keep an archive of the changes ive made and if you also maintain a changelog; the reasoning why you made those changes. It also helps other mappers to see how a map progresses which can be a very valuable tool