VIDE won't work as intended

JackHundeswald

L2: Junior Member
Jul 17, 2019
Hello everyone, just a quick post because my VIDE doesn't seem to work, I send the map file after the process to my friend and everytime he tells me that the models are still missing. any ideas?

The_Gl!tch.exe

L3: Member
Apr 3, 2018
Be sure to pack every(!) file you need for the map and press save once!
Saving it multiple times makes random files disappear (in my case)

Be sure to test your map with sv_pure 2 afterwards. That's where you see the same issues which your friend has (because some stuff is missing)
---
Some files have to be added manually for packing such as sprite textures, particles, particle scripts and soundscape music (if there's no ambient_generic with the same sound)
You also have to let VIDE scan through every folder in your custom folder. There could be a folder you've missed

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
Sorry for replying too late, I had to unexpectedly leave home for a while. I'll test that as soon as I can

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
Well that's... wow. sv_pure 2 crashes my game when I load the map... (shite) I'll have to rely on my friend for feedback...

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
VIDE is outdated and I'd personally go for other tools such as Compile Pal or the official, command-line tool BSPZIP, if you're interested (setting it up isn't as complicated as it may first seem, and is always up-to-date depending on the game it's used for).

The_Gl!tch.exe

L3: Member
Apr 3, 2018
Your map will crash with sv_pure 2 if you packed a nav file by accident. Those files should not be packed

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
Your map will crash with sv_pure 2 if you packed a nav file by accident. Those files should not be packed
Just because "sv_pure 2" causes the game to crash doesn't mean that packing custom NAVs (usually to provide better navigation) shouldn't be done. If anything, just avoid packing the navigation mesh file until finalizing the map/testing.

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
well, I think that VIDE's enough for me (I'll check the others out too) but is there only one nav file? one at the same place as the map and if I delete it it'll go fine?

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
well, I think that VIDE's enough for me (I'll check the others out too) but is there only one nav file? one at the same place as the map and if I delete it it'll go fine?
If you made a custom one (from scratch or an edited version of an auto-generated mesh), then you should probably pack it. If you auto-generated one (sv_cheats 1;nav_generate), then packing is not necessary (but recommended if you intend users not to download it separately off some place or generate one themselves).

JackHundeswald

Jul 17, 2019
I've generated one, then modified it to fix issues.