Valve should have waited with Badwater Basin

Dec 25, 2007
i think the first one is done on purpose, so that they didn't have to cut the building up into multiple brushes.. that random catwalk would stop people looking up and noticing this and there's no reason for people to be where that screenshot was taken.

No, those rocks are actually quite a good place to stand if you're soldier: gives you a good height advantage and field of view.

The same issue exists with other windows right next to playable areas in the map too, it's not limited to these ones.

Username

L2: Junior Member
Aug 26, 2008
What annoys me is that you can't actually walk along that ledge below the windows. I've wanted to so many times.... *sigh*

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
I was just playing it today, and I got launched extremely high as a pyro. I got up on a ledge that is obviously outside the intended playable area. I might post some pics later.

The ledge was as high as you can go in the map, in the first area. It's above the tunnel

Dec 25, 2007
So, someone was complaining in chat that Badwater Basin unfortunately looked nothing like the real Badwater Basin.

Which is a good thing, otherwise there'd be nothing but snipers:

badwater-basin.jpg

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Well I'm going a bit against the general rant. Of course ledges and such can be potentiel gamebreakers, but people using them wouldn't be tolerated for long on our servers (spawnkill and every possible abuse are really taken seriously on canardplus)

Visually speaking, I didn't look for errors and wasn't dissapointed nor impressed by this map. But gameplay wise I find it really refreshing. Last point is a pain, but is not playing in the same category as "gold-unlikely-to-rush".

Sure we may have high expectations from valve quality maps. But visual work does'nt do all for a map success. Two forts is very nice but banned from our main community servers and so are others vanilla maps.

Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, despite the complaints, this map does have some awesome displacement work; a shame the best of it is outside the playable area:

Very nice:

Just brilliant:

Dec 25, 2007
I just had a couple of really great rounds in badwater.

A good sentry spot I got quite a number of kills from this spot -- it's difficult to notice until it can see you.

I did find another glitch:

Not so good sentry spot There seems to be a 16 unit gap in the func_respawnroom brushes!

It was an epic defence:

It was a good game though We held them off after they'd capped the first two points, each almost at the time out. We managed to hold them off the third point successfully.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Second pic: I always build a teleporter there to be helpful. Still, though, this is just an incredibly stupid error.

And wow, those displacements are indeed awesome!

Aug 19, 2008
Badwater has its issues... what is most depressing is, that the last two thirds are way too darkish, and the final cap is a dark unholy pit of depression
the area behind the 2nd cp, behind the roof is mostly unneccessary and too big
i love the hill at the start, well crafted and fun to play, and the 3rd cp with its complexity

first i thought that red would be too overwhelming on that map, but now players get a hang on what they need to win the last cp and blue wins more frequently

in addition to that, i love how the map allows a nice gameplay with the heavy, giving him many close-range and midrange fight scenarios, where he can shine.