Territory Control and Team Fortress 2

NoodleCollie

Stoat fiend
aa
Jul 30, 2009
Seems Linux doesn't like remembering my login to this site.

What were the respawn timer changes? It would be useful to know to be able to base TC spawn times on something other than what Hydro has.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Hydro's Actual Spawn Times:
@7mins: 10 second waves
@4mins: 6 second waves
@3mins: instaspawn

A/D Rounds
@Attackers: instaspawn
@Defenders: 10 second waves

What Hydro's spawns should be:
@7mins: 10 second waves
@4mins: 8 second waves
@3mins: 6 second waves
@2mins: 4 second waves

A/D Rounds
@Attackers: 3 second waves
@Defenders: 10 second waves

Another funny bug, the round times for both A/D rounds are different :| One of the rounds last a lot longer than the other.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
2-cp push is a bad gamemode. If you attack, you get scout/spy-capped. If you defend, stalemate. TC could work with something like 1-flag invade ctf or koth, where you don't have to worry about getting back-capped while you attack.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Something I was thinking about a week or two ago...

People don't like TC because it stalemates. People don't like ADCTF because of instacap (before people made blocking).

What if you combined these? Meridian is a CTF TC, but it is traditional CTF where you need to get in and back out, and can still stalemate at times. What if you did one that was invade, taking your flag to the enemy. Could possibly work with one or two flags. (did you ever try those, shmitz? if you are reading)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
imo I think Faultline did pretty well with the balance between stalemate/scoutcapping :p

even my final rounds were fun.

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Someone, convert Hydro to KOTH so we can see how it would play!

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Yea, I would like to see hydro, but only 1CP per each stage.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Something I was thinking about a week or two ago...

People don't like TC because it stalemates. People don't like ADCTF because of instacap (before people made blocking).

What if you combined these? Meridian is a CTF TC, but it is traditional CTF where you need to get in and back out, and can still stalemate at times. What if you did one that was invade, taking your flag to the enemy. Could possibly work with one or two flags. (did you ever try those, shmitz? if you are reading)

It wouldn't go over well. The thing people don't like about ADCTF isn't the insta-cap, but that the insta-cap only has to happen once. There is no "lesson learned, they won't get through again". There's no switching up strategy to counter what the enemy just did. Once the enemy succeeds, that's it, it's over, and the map moves on.

With the traditional CTF setup, teams at least have a chance to react.

Incidentally, Icarus, your list of what hydro's spawn times should be is very close to what I ended up doing with meridian, because yeah, once spawn times hit instant it became nearly impossible to get to the flag. You could take out a sentry or two and they'd both be back up five seconds later.

MikeDee

L1: Registered
May 2, 2010
2-cp push is a bad gamemode. If you attack, you get scout/spy-capped. If you defend, stalemate. TC could work with something like 1-flag invade ctf or koth, where you don't have to worry about getting back-capped while you attack.

TC-koth? I like the idea.

Mar 23, 2010
how abouts someone makes a TC map, but with 2 CP's per team instead of 1? like a TC + A/D cross over.

just brainstorming.

Last edited:

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Hydro is a nice map overall but just has that "oh God, it's hydro *disconnect*" reputation. What I think ruins it is the map geomatry rather than spawn times. The "super steep" stair cases and the unbalanced differences between the Red sides and the Blue. So this encourages camping and therefore stalemates.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It's the hard limit for the number of team_control_point entitys in a map at any time. You can work around it when you have multiple stages by reusing points. How difficult this is depends on the mode, and with TC it would be pretty difficult.