Strange Hammer "bug"

Botervloot

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2009
(I'm not sure if this is a bug or just a button that I switched on by accident)

(sidestory)
I was happily mapping for L4D2 using the Left 4 Dead 2 Authoring tools, without a worry. I closed it down, and starting playing another game besides anything Source based. After I while, I grew bored and continued mapping using the L4D2 AT. Though, something was wrong, and, very annoying:

(problem)
I tried to select a brush in the 3D camera zone. It worked just like it should. But then this happened; when I tried to select another brush, it didn't select that brush, but chose the brush/object/thing behind it, ignoring the brush I actually wanted to highlight/use. If however, nothing is behind the object, it chooses it the correct way.

An illustration:

e992f0illustration.png

How do I fix this problem? It's gone from L4D2 AT to Source SDK, and since I also map for TF2, this is relevant.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
In Hammer, go to Tools -> Options -> 3D Views and uncheck "Reverse selection order." That ought to fix it. :)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Holy... this "bug" is literally a feature. I tried it; it literally selects the furthest object from the viewer, even if that object is behind the entire rest of the map. Why the heck would anyone want that?

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
I can't think of a reason it's there. I thought I had one, but realized there are at least two far easier ways to do what I was thinking of. Maybe keeping it in there is the only way Valve can legally distribute the SDK free with their games or something...

My guess is there's a keyboard shortcut that turns it on, and that's why it gets mistakenly activated and screws with people's minds, similar to how Shift+W turns the grid on/off. I've seen this same thing happen to people before, and the activator is so far hidden in the options menus that it would be fairly difficult to turn on by accident.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's there because if you have a lot of things in once place you might want the one behind the one you always click.

Like if you put func_doors and func_areaportals in the same place.

But I don't use it. I just click until I get what I want because it's faster.