Question about licencing + referencing community assets

REDHOT

L1: Registered
Dec 10, 2017
Hello! Been a hot minute since I've posted here but I've got a question regarding the Creative Commons / ownership of assets created by and released for the community. For example, the 'Frontline' asset pack; are these assets CC0? ie: would I not need to credit a prop's creator if i released a map using one from such a pack? Or should I reference the creators where relevant such as on the workshop submission page of my map?

I just couldn't seem to find anything about whether such asset packs are in the public domain or not. I'm aware it might be case-specific and smaller packs like the construction asset pack for example might be different to the frontline pack but if anyone knows the answer or how I might find out then I'd be pleased to know, thanks!

Brokkhouse

I'm sorry Mario, your logic is in another instance
Server Staff
Oct 9, 2021
Ah, my favorite topic, Copyright!

Check out my guide for a very elaborate answer.
Short version: No, TF2Maps assets are never released under CC0 unless specifically stated. The nearest analogue would be CC BY-NC-ND, meaning you do need to credit the authors of all assets you're using. In case of the Steam Workshop, you need to add all of them as authors on the Workshop Page as well, as stated in the Steam Subscriber/Workshop Agreement. You only need to credit the authors of the specific assets you've been using, not everyone involved in the content pack. If there is no information regarding a specific asset/author, everyone involved needs to be credited.
These rules are less strict for in-development maps. Consider this a sign of the trust this community has in each other.