killingJoke - Competitive CTF Map Testing

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
Testing of the first 2 maps should begin in roughly 3 hours, I'll see if I can get people to play more after.

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
Testing was relatively successful, apart from the demo for assembly not recording...

That should never happen again and I'm truly sorry about that screw up, TPG.

---

Next two maps will be tested tomorrow, probably at an earlier time than today's playtest.

(Also updated the list again)

EDIT: A slight change of plan ~

Rather than everyone waiting their turn for the 6v6 testing with no words of improvement/criticism between now and then, I've decided I'll upload every map that is requested, and give players the option of exploring any of these maps at their own will. 6v6 testing with STV demos will still happen as normal but this will give people the option of simply recieving comments for improvement while they wait for their map's turn to get tested.

(If you're in dire need of comments/criticism for your map, let me know and I'll encourage players to explore it when they get the chance.)

Last edited:

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Might I suggest adding this thread and the other one onto the contest thread, so that contestants know where to get some testing done.

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
Which threads are we talking about exactly? There are several threads regarding the contest and as far as I know this is the only map testing thread I've made myself.

---

I've updated the feedback system to save the player's coordinates at the time their note is sent, by default all old notes will appear as if the players were dead.

Preview (For the most part I've fixed the IE incompatibilty issues as well)

This should help to give an idea of which classes are going where, plus if someone leaves a note like "this area needs more cover" you'll be able to find that part in your map file by referring to the coordinates (assuming that Hammer's coordinates are the same.)

The first 3 numbers are the player's position (X Y Z), and the second set of numbers are the orientation (direction the player is looking, also X Y Z).

Another small addition is that a seperator is added to the feedback list when the map ends, this is to divide the feedback between different playtests.

Last edited:

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
a3 of Soda is out now - last release until playtesting tells me what's next :) should be bug free.

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
Your map will probably be scheduled for testing in a few days from now, I'll upload it to my server and get some people to explore it for suggestions if that helps.

Dec 25, 2007
Your in-game note-taking system is a really neat idea for gathering feedback from players without burdening them with writing stuff down and posting it after the game (or after several games). Are you planning to release it as a plugin? I'd love to see if we could get the same feature on the TF2Maps servers.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
If you're not already swamped in maps, I'd love to hear what you have to say about ctf_fusion. Link in my signature below.

The web comment thing is brilliant, I had the same idea a long time ago, but I had no idea it was actually possible. Good job!

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
Superb. And yep - i'd be very interesting in your map notes system for our servers at Playstuff.net - especially the map lab - it's very nice indeed!

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
If you're not already swamped in maps, I'd love to hear what you have to say about ctf_fusion. Link in my signature below.

Certainly, I can't garauntee 6v6 map testing in the very near future for new maps but I aim to have all maps tested as soon as possible.

The web comment thing is brilliant, I had the same idea a long time ago, but I had no idea it was actually possible. Good job!

Your in-game note-taking system is a really neat idea for gathering feedback from players without burdening them with writing stuff down and posting it after the game (or after several games). Are you planning to release it as a plugin? I'd love to see if we could get the same feature on the TF2Maps servers.

Superb. And yep - i'd be very interesting in your map notes system for our servers at Playstuff.net - especially the map lab - it's very nice indeed!

I'm glad people like this system, if I can adjust it to be more user friendly then I'll gladly release it for public use. There's also some features I'd still like to add to it, such as the ability to sort/arrange/filter comments from certain playtests and generally improve the web interface.

Last edited:

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
It looks like I won't be able to find time for extra map tests during the weeks unless I can find someone else within my community who's willing to organise things.

For now, I'll prepare the next 4-8 maps for testing this weekend, and upload all of the maps currently on the list and encourage everyone in kJ to explore them and comment on them via our private server.

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
Updated the list (The blank row is for someone who requested their map yesterday via Steam Chat, but I forgot who it was...)

It looks like I won't have time to test any maps today, but I'll try to arrange an extra session tomorrow to account for the 2 maps that I would have tested today.

Caliostro

Jul 6, 2009
Updated the list (The blank row is for someone who requested their map yesterday via Steam Chat, but I forgot who it was...)

It looks like I won't have time to test any maps today, but I'll try to arrange an extra session tomorrow to account for the 2 maps that I would have tested today.

I've requested it via chat, don't remember when...

Oh well: Machina

Jindo

Aug 6, 2009
So I've been incredibly busy this past week and so was unable to arrange any map tests, it may carry on that way for another week.

I will however, make an effort to upload all of the entries over the weekend and transfer the feedback system to my 2nd private server. I'll encourage members of kJ to view your maps and comment on them there, plus if anyone here wants to I can give out the password and allow you to explore and comment on the maps (and perhaps get involved with the testing sessions if we are short on players.)

Also updated the table on the first post.