Gravelhouse (cancelled, free to edit without credit)

KotH Gravelhouse (cancelled, free to edit without credit) a5a

floofycatto

L1: Registered
Apr 18, 2023
floofycatto updated Laundromat (name wip) with a new update entry:

The Textureless Update

it's finally here! The dev textures have invaded the map making the map look better than critical moist when they corrected sneako by saying the ammo you put into guns are mags instead of clips!

- Removed garten of banban
- Map name change
- made most of the ramps in the map less steep
- fixed a compiling issue, map textures should be fixed now
- added more cover from sightlines
- Changed around health and ammo placement so mid feels better to fight over
- Made the maps lighting more dim

Read the rest of this update entry...

floofycatto

Apr 18, 2023

The Reflections Update

1683325263796.png

Here at sideeffectsmayincludedeath industries we listen to your feedback and want you to know that! So we're directly addressing feedback straight from the source!

Were happy to announce that good ol goobert here is getting 10+ CUBEMAP REFLECTIONS ADDED ALL AROUND THE MAP!! yes thats right! more than ten!

Also, this update includes the following side features, as a topping to the main course:

- Split the 2nd courtyard into 3 sections via walls and...

floofycatto

Apr 18, 2023

The Reflections Update - Part 2

Here at death industries, we care about our employees.. with the sudden hit of the virus going around, (fatsonia) we have had our employees working from home in this rough time, hence we decided to actually split this update in two parts!

- Fixed cubemap reflections not reflecting correctly
- Updated message board
- Removed door for the catapult that goes to the point
- Updated all the lighting except for env_light, all of the lights now have proper 50% falloffs
- Lowered some of the...

floofycatto

Apr 18, 2023
floofycatto updated Gravelhouse (name wip) with a new update entry:

The Catapults Update

Here at death industries we like to make sure our employees are always hard working and productive! In order to keep this workflow, we came up with the brilliant idea of catapulting our employees out of our building if they decide to slack off!

"Yeah it's pretty funny watching other workers get catapulted, they walk in the next day with bandages all over em, obviously I'm the only one around here that can take a joke, the rest of the office is concerned for some reason, I say who cares...

floofycatto

Apr 18, 2023
floofycatto updated Gravelhouse (name wip) with a new update entry:

The Fixing The Map Update

Death Industries here! We're gonna make this short! The person we had working on this made a mistake and accidentally capitilized the letter A, not letting the map to be easily playable on servers! Whoops! Obviously, this could lead to dire consequences! So we're happy to annouce we punished them accordingly! By burning their body, and feeding it to the bears! Thank you for all your continued support!

floofycatto

Apr 18, 2023
floofycatto updated Gravelhouse (cancelled) with a new update entry:

Cancelling The Map

A serious post sadly to the 50% who dont care, and the 50% who wish this map never popped up on the testing server

I've decided to cancel this map because after reconsidering mapping this game overall, so be happy, I've come to the realization I'm just not good enough for it. I've tried to rethink the layouts, I've tried to talk to people about how I can improve it, but I just cant rap my head around how to make the map better. After 5 alphas of people giving genuine supportive feedback, I...

b1gl4ke

aa
May 25, 2014
Nobody on this website is particularly great at layout, so don't take it personally. As far as the map goes, you need to pull most things into each other. Things need to be closer. This is a fast paced game, so walking 5 seconds should bring you from the low ground to the high ground.

Miki

Feb 10, 2022
If it's any reconciliation, my first couple of maps looked like this:
3B42CD8372F6AD351A79B4F3C7E63AADE10D5925

8D8A933B4058439D810114F8C9E4990DA919B6E9

3688D0428D790C1B5772B321C45FDB38F89471A7

BEA87C595D1E851687A03C88043319D8F3F35B3B

The great thing about maps are that they are a discussion point. Each one holds merit because they formed at a particular time under different influences. With every map I built, I tried something different: a new game mode, a new environment type, a different game entirely. Sometimes I placed restrictions, usually time limits, because I wanted to finish something instead of worrying how good it is. When I let go of expectations, I made this:

AC1BF829E6BFFF4DC36AE3681624D9184C79118B

This map, Jungle Lab, was made for an 11 day mapping challenge. It took me through all the stages of mapping and even got played on servers for others to enjoy. People liked it, it motivated me to keep going. I kept playing maps and I'd take screenshots of details in maps. I used to have an "idea" folder with hundreds of pictures just of everything I found interesting in video games. I still do this, like this is from Overwatch 2 and how Blizzard mappers used a single warm light in a dark hallway.

20230508114239_1.jpg

Later on, I made stuff like this:
F80C25D31C9036D79BB3F56FD91D85CBB963B57D

650B668DB9FE7450B9CCCADC687147C4F9C4D441

62332c08e0900.jpg

203DABA2319826B47284BC0B2C4CEC0DDF23EB34

And one time I went to TF2's Workshop to look at the most popular maps (scroll down, the most popular in the last 6 months) and see what they were doing, only to find my own map (Waterfront) as #1. If I never went through those first maps, if I didn't grow as a person and mapper through experience, dedication, and application, I wouldn't be sitting here typing this out.

If you want to quit mapping, go ahead, or maybe you just need a break. You can take what you learned with Gravelhouse and apply it to your next map. You may find it easier to start from scratch, build a new map using what you learned. Most people don't even finish what they start, like half of college art students drop out of the class. It's why I commend anyone who has something to show for their effort.

Slide66.jpg

Last edited: