WetRot

KotH WetRot A4

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
A once thriving river that has been taken over by heavily polluting factories! Teams duke it out over control of them, surrounded by the ruins and remnants of the previous inhabitants.

There is a central waterwheel that you can climb on and get quick access to the point; or brave the more hidden (but harder to get to the top of) hills on each end. Use the river to flank the enemy as they focus on the point, off to the side.

This is my second map (that I've released), and I would say much more fun (since the first one was basically a test map); I actually had a blast playing with bots, and it works surprisingly well.

I need some game play/layout feedback on it, and I would keep working on it. My main concern at the moment is the performance in the map.

Originally titled koth_wheelhouse (since the point is near an old water wheel) but someone took it right before i could publish the map :(. Still working on the name, but I think Wet Rot is passable for now.

Inspired by HL2's Route Kanal sections (theme and layout), this image, and partially koth_viaduct (layout and usage of ammo/weapon packs)

Last edited:

ExtraCheesyPie

Jan 29, 2015
I needed some cover, I didn't have a more elegant solution. In-game it looks a lot better, actually. You can see it from a few different angles in the other screenshots to see how it looks.

ExtraCheesyPie

Jan 29, 2015
  • Changed around mid: No longer HL2 pipes; made the middle part more fair for both teams, added an ammo kit
  • Changed some textures, made things smoother
  • Proper respawnroomvisualisers
  • Playerstart!
  • Paked it properly! :)
  • One team no longer has a 3 second advantage when capping (whoops)
  • Some other stuff most likely :O

Screens are a bit outdated, but it's not really relevant.

Last edited:

ExtraCheesyPie

Jan 29, 2015
An update so huge that it needed 2 alpha versions (i actually just mistyped the number, oh well)

Textures / lights:
  • Improved textures on staircases
  • Everything is much brighter! The look is now late morning / early evening
  • EVERYTHING IS ACTUALLY FOR REAL PACKED PROPERLY! ENJOY ALL YOUR TEXTURES!
  • Used some dev textures as everyone demanded them
Layout:
  • Spawns completely changed
  • No walkway from spawn/corridor connector
  • SIGNS ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE
  • The point is 50% lower
  • The shack near the point containing the health pack has been changed to a porch
  • Cover changed up on the hill
  • Another way to access the point
  • The housing for the water wheel is wider
  • The point is wider
  • Changed around cover by the point
Other:
  • The stairs on the water wheel now have something behind them
  • Changed the "upper parts" of the map- signs, conveyors, etc.
  • Wheel house now has a decrepit ceiling

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

ExtraCheesyPie

Jan 29, 2015
Well since I'm going to have to make radical changes and I have absolutely no inspiration for these, i'm going to have to abandon it since people really don't like the layout.

If anyone has any crazy ideas I can think about, feel free to do so; otherwise this is finished... for now.