Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Will there be an option not to get this update? I usually never complain about whatever updates but judging from what I now know it's a complete no.
you missed the part where everyone basically established this as baseless rumour for attention

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Yep now I see people talking this are not completely trustworthy. Though this changelist would be a backstab if it is ever released, at least for me and a part of tf2 community whose opinions on one or nother things are close to mine, let me still point out.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
honestly I could see highlander being cut. they added it in grey in the list of formats to appease people but really it would be a lot of work to do. for one they'll need to update every map and their score screen room since those only support 6 players as of right now. getting the rooms right on the first go would have been ideal.

Apr 14, 2013
you don't need a lot of skill to play soldier, that it's kinda like that class you switch to when nothing is going well in your game.

While I personally tend to switch to soldier (or heavy) when things are going bad for my team, I can't say they don't take a lot of skill.
Here's the thing: unlike the more complicated classes to play and master, such as medic, demoman, sniper, spy etc, soldier and heavy are really easy to play. However, as much as they're easy to play, they're hard to master.

Think of playing soldier as compared to playing a piano. Knowing how to play the piano is really easy. Much easier than playing the flute, for example. But mastering the piano may take years and years of practice. Knowing how to spam rockets and shovel enemies is the most easy thing in the game. But rocket-jumping, making tactical decisions, leading targets, direct-hitting, etc take lots of practice, and can be much harder than, say, landing headshots as sniper (unless you have as bad of an aim as me).

Same goes for heavy- Heavy has got much more in him than pairing up with a medic and eating. Surprising enemies, escaping headshots and backstabs, and flanking properly, is much harder than it first seems.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Soldier is literally the first class in the tutorial. No point nerfing a class for new players to start with before they take off to other classes.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
-Friends of him, and 2 mappers one of which worked on snowplow and the other one worked on many maps played by youtubers. (spies)

Just for some clarifications: I know nothing about any upcoming TF2 updates. I didn't know who this person was until @Crash showed me the thread. Looking through YM's friends list, I don't see this person on there either, so I'll assum ehe doesn't know anything.

So, no idea where he's getting info from me. From what I can tell, there is nothing new here that is verifiable, and anything else said was already known or just common sense. Maybe he's calling me a source for the comment I made 7 months ago after my trip to Valve where I said that they told me that CC and asteroid is still in development and is moving along.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Does anyone know where in the stream he makes the claim to have one of me/joe as a source?

Sep 7, 2012
The original post in this thread seems filled with logical inaccuracies. I think it quite likely that the streamer in question is either full of it, or exaggerating based on his own limited knowledge.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobTheAwsm/

Quote:
"Season 18 Plat Medic/Sniper: KnD"

He never played on this team. His UGC profile: http://ugcleague.com/players_page.cfm?player_id=76561198037846601

He edited this reference out as soon as someone pointed it out to him. Maybe it was an accident. I'm really not all that invested in this argument so... whatever.

A quote from his profile:

"Highlander>4's>6's I believe that 6's was created because the scout and soldier are attention whores wanting attention, so they created their own game mode with blackjack (demo) and hookers (medic)."

I may have been a little harsh in the initial writing of this post but I'm still really not a fan of all the unsubstantiated claim-creating and bashing of the 6s format.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
Some of the claims are so general that they read like a newspaper horoscope. Can anyone imagine a major update without new maps?

Malachite Man

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 16, 2015
RobTheAwsm is a falsifier.

Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/RobTheAwsm/

Quote:
"Season 18 Plat Medic/Sniper: KnD"

He never played on this team. His UGC profile: http://ugcleague.com/players_page.cfm?player_id=76561198037846601

Adding on the claims that he has had contact with "someone working on Snowplow" (which he has not), it's very misguided.

A quote from his profile:

"Highlander>4's>6's I believe that 6's was created because the scout and soldier are attention whores wanting attention, so they created their own game mode with blackjack (demo) and hookers (medic)."

Why anyone would believe anything this man says is beyond me. He is making all this up for attention.
THUN THUN THUUN

Dec 28, 2014
honestly I could see highlander being cut. they added it in grey in the list of formats to appease people but really it would be a lot of work to do. for one they'll need to update every map and their score screen room since those only support 6 players as of right now. getting the rooms right on the first go would have been ideal.

Valve did update the matchmaking hud to support up to 12 players per team though so who knows what they'll do.
Doing highlander matchmaking might be difficult unless they require people to choose multiple classes they would potentially play as. Perhaps they could just do a big team matchmaking that matches maybe 10-12 players per team and either has no class restrictions, or maybe something like 2 per class to allow a matchmaking experience that's closer to the normal/pub TF2 experience?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
While I personally tend to switch to soldier (or heavy) when things are going bad for my team, I can't say they don't take a lot of skill.
Here's the thing: unlike the more complicated classes to play and master, such as medic, demoman, sniper, spy etc, soldier and heavy are really easy to play. However, as much as they're easy to play, they're hard to master.

Think of playing soldier as compared to playing a piano. Knowing how to play the piano is really easy. Much easier than playing the flute, for example. But mastering the piano may take years and years of practice. Knowing how to spam rockets and shovel enemies is the most easy thing in the game. But rocket-jumping, making tactical decisions, leading targets, direct-hitting, etc take lots of practice, and can be much harder than, say, landing headshots as sniper (unless you have as bad of an aim as me).
And the people who main him and say he's overpowered are the same kinds of people who have mastered him and totally forgot what it's like to be a new player who just wants to shoot some dudes and not die easily to everyone on the enemy team. I can't personally think of any time when I've been getting owned repeatedly by a soldier and been like "goddamn soldiers" *shake fist* ... with the possible exception of those annoying-as-fuck Rocket Jumper types, who are more dangerous because they make me paranoid to see them constantly flying around up there than because they're actually skilled at reliably killing me.

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Who the hell is RobTheAwsm?
...Watch 1 min of his Youtube, My god why would Valve tell this guy anything...

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015
i think i remember the pass time developer saying that it would be in the competitive update, i am not sure tough so i should take at the demos i made soon.

Wait, you think he said that? Was he being ambiguous?

That said, is it possible he meant the new PASS Time map, and not its release from Beta? Because I'd buy that the map will be released in the next patch, and that that patch might be the one that introduces the update.