Your opinion on this problem, visleaves and certain brush work

Resistance

L2: Junior Member
Mar 24, 2009
Alright, on my wall, I have a glass brush with brush work behind them. It's causing a lot of unecessary visleaves to be created. I cannot make the brush work behind the glass a func_detail as it would cause leaks. I cannot make the faces with a skip texture as I would of course lose the current texture I have on the brushes. I tried to make a skip texture brush around them to see if that would prevent visleaves on that area, but it doesn't.

So then I tried putting a nodraw brush around it and it does seem to be preventing a large portion of the unecessary visleaves, so do you think that this is a good way to go? My only other option I can think of is to spend a lot of time creating brushes behind the brush work and making it func_detail, unfortunately that would take quite a bit of time with how my map is.

Resistance

L2: Junior Member
Mar 24, 2009
I believe I'm on the right track, this article http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimization.php?chapter=func_detail ,
says it's okay to use nodraw brushes in or behind func_details for visleafs when you're up against the void. Looks like I'll turn my brush work into func_detail with a nodraw brush on it. (or when complicated brush work turned into func_details would allow visibility to the next room when you don't want want visibility on it.)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
pretty much spot on there, if you've got tricky geometry but its touching the void, just make it a func_detail and stick a wall or box of nodraw behind it so that A you can't see the nodraw and B it seals the gap.