CTF Yonder

Astrohax

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2011
Hello everyone, I am astrohax and this is my first map that I am submitting as a member of tf2maps.net.

I dont have very much experience in map making (dabbled in CS:S and DOD custom maps), but I intend on using this map as an opportunity to hone my skills and produce something as professional as I can.

The Concept:
My goal with this is to create a fun, dynamic, well balanced 2 flag standard CTF map (everybody's dream, right?). I want to keep it simple enough so that new players wont be confused into being useless, but complex enough that it will not be the same 2 chokepoints fought over all the time. As far as balance goes, I am not interested in balancing it for "competitive" play, since i dont play competitively and i feel that a ctf map balanced for 6v6 play will not be nearly as fun for 12v12 play.

The Curveball:
One thing I have already done with this map that I have not seen done before is I have placed 40 second setup gates in both bases. With these I aim to prevent scout rush steamrolls, give new players a brief moment to become familiar with the map, give team members an incentive not to take the quickest route out from their spawn area, and to give a general incentive to defend instead of running out thoughtlessly. Whether this and the rest of my map promotes a turtle party is to be determined by player testing

The Forewarnings:
-the Map name is subject to change, as I have yet to decide upon a theme (I am not very enthusiastic about making this decision)
-It started as a lifeless shell, and after a recent restructuring of the bases' insides, it should be a bit more playable!
-The outside section is still pending a major structural overhall (most likely my next endeavor)
-So far the map is pretty much completely un-optimized, so I will also have to go through the process of cleaning up my brushes, making func_details, and all of the other fun hints and skips that are involved with having a less amateurish map.

Please provide me with any tips, criticisms, suggestions, and crude disparagements you can. I need as many outside opinions as I can get

Last edited:

Limeaide

L2: Junior Member
Jul 26, 2009
The manner in which you have posted this map is consistent with forum standards last time I checked. Also, no-one expects you to have an optimized map in alpha. Also also the middle area looks a bit too open.

Astrohax

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2011
cool! I got a few steam friends on the map and am gonna clean up a couple of brushes inside and try to close up the mid a bit, maybe make it indoors, and lower the walls in mid so its not as heavy on the vert fighting

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
well you can skip optimization in alpha as long as its set up to be implemented later. if you manage to make undetailed map to need optimization, think of what will happen once its detailed :p

Optimization is extremly vital part of mapping, no matter what state the map is in, belive me, a lot of us been there.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Optimization is extremly vital part of mapping, no matter what state the map is in, belive me, a lot of us been there.

it's vital, but it doesnt have to be implemented when all you have is basic flat square walls. even the worst computers should be able to handle that.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
it's vital, but it doesnt have to be implemented when all you have is basic flat square walls. even the worst computers should be able to handle that.

You still have to consider that there is, all the weapon models, dropped weapons from dead players, all the special effects and sentries.

Just because it is basic flat square walls doesn't mean you should just ignore it all together, even such map can have bad fps, for example first version of conveyance, it was blocky and had in total 5 props, i ignored optimization just for the exact reason you are telling him to ignore it. Big surprise, full server and everyone fps crashed, next version i did optimization and everything was fine.

Not to mention it saves so much time when you have all optimization and such ready when you start detailing.

TL-DR: There is no excuse, Optimize!

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
You still have to consider that there is, all the weapon models, dropped weapons from dead players, all the special effects and sentries.

Just because it is basic flat square walls doesn't mean you should just ignore it all together, even such map can have bad fps, for example first version of conveyance, it was blocky and had in total 5 props, i ignored optimization just for the exact reason you are telling him to ignore it. Big surprise, full server and everyone fps crashed, next version i did optimization and everything was fine.

Not to mention it saves so much time when you have all optimization and such ready when you start detailing.

TL-DR: There is no excuse, Optimize!

intredasting. i had a full server test of batt yesterday and the map is essentially put in a box for now. not a single complaint, not even from me :p

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010

How many times do you think you'll compile your map during it's entire development? If you put one hour into optimization early (which is quite a lot for non-detailed versions), I'll bet you'll get that time back through reduced compile times if you finish a map project. Having the map be playable for everyone at maximum fps is just an added bonus.

Just a thought. :)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009

It should be implemented as soon as possible so that you don't end up with a lot of clutter when you do decide to optimize.