KotH Yellowcake

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Narpas, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Narpas

Narpas L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    A capture the flag map with two bases on the edge of a cliffside. I tried to design it like the gameplay of 2fort or doublecross, with multiple entrances to both the bases and the flag rooms.

a1:
    My first map. A small KotH map about 2/3 the size of Nucleus, taking place on a cliffside and a mine in the cliffside. As this is my first map, constructive criticism is welcome.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Mmmm, cake.

I'm noticing by the overhead view that your map is mostly a series of corridors leading from the spawn rooms to the control point, with everything else surrounded by a massive and completely open death pit. In other words, there's only one main route and one flank. Maps need more than that.

Also noticed this when having a runaround:

[​IMG]
    This might just be the most campable spawn ever. There's only one exit, it's right beside an unguarded death pit, and there's an easily-accessible ledge overlooking it that has both a health kit and an ammo pack on it. If an Engineer plonks a sentry down up here, the enemy team will have no chance against it.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  3. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    A good rule-of-thumb for any room is the "2.5 Exit Rule".
    Every room should have 2 main exists and a flank-exit. Spawns should only ever have 1 exit if it's arena.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Berry

aa Berry Sharing is caring, and I don't care

Positive Ratings:
    Don't forget about things like forward spawns either, or the spawns of 5CP maps.

5. Narpas

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the criticism! I decided to expand the map and make it a ctf stage, sort of in the style of 2fort or doublecross. Again, more criticism is requested.

6. Narpas

Positive Ratings:
    a3 is out now. Mostly fixes and adding some props.