XX_clocktown

DucatiBon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
First off i wanna say thanks to everyone in the mapping section for helping me and other who are just starting mapping, iv been very frustrated sometimes but i always got the help I needed

Okay first off this is very very early shots of the map,
My whole point of this is to get feedback early before iv done to much with it and have to go back and change the entire thing,

If you haven't played Zelda Majora's mask, you wont recognize it, so here is a picture

clocktown3.jpg

Here is what i have so far
EDITED - Updated the screenshot
untitle31d1sa2.jpg

and earlier view of the map befor i had to delete the moon temporarily since spheres make me crash.

clocktowntestfv6.jpg

So as elite veteran Mappers, give me tips, suggestions, ideas, whether you think day looks better than night, all that good stuff

OH and ATM dont think of it as game play wise, just map wise, cuz odds are its ganna suck game play wise because its a remake of a non FPS game

Its my first map so I just am making it as a learning thing, more than a great gameplay thing.

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Spheres are buggy for one.

Another thing, wow, that looks nice! The nighttime ambience is great, as you are visible in it and it produces a striking hue change. The main problem with nighttime is that it tends to make maps be very dark and silhouette-breaking. I like the nighttime style more, just needs a custom skybox.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
THANKS POTATO MAN!! ^_^

and again thanks for the help in my other threads.

It wasnt a sphear acctualy it was a cube subdivided then i painted some geometry on it to make the contures of the texture,

My goal was original to make a PL map where team 1, pushes cart Team 2 odiously defends, and as the timer goes by, the Moon gets closer and closer to the earth and eventual crashes into it if team 1 didn't push the card all the way.

pretty intense for a person who just started learning hammer 6 days ago. who knows the map might turn out to work out as a PL map after im done with out deviating to much from the original design of the game.

PS. The triforce you can see in the earlier picture (daytime) was ganna be "the cart"

Last edited:

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
I'm gonna go ahead and suggest arena mode if you are looking for a gameplay type, because then you can have unbalanced areas, and a smaller map overall. Plus, you can have the cp near the tower/in the tower.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and suggest arena mode if you are looking for a gameplay type, because then you can have unbalanced areas, and a smaller map overall. Plus, you can have the cp near the tower/in the tower.

That is very true, especially since the rest of the town pretty much centers around it.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
I added an updated screen shot to the original one, more finished and a new custom texture.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I think it might be a little big for arena. Dustbowl-style cp would be my choice here, each time taking a piece of the four (?) smaller areas of Clock Town that exist, with the last cp being in the tower.
Looks pretty so far!

drunkie

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2008
There is inconsistency's in the size of the bricks from wall to wall. I would suggest looking into how to make your swirls and wall decorations into overlays to place onto the wall instead of a custom texture.

Also lighting wise, I would suggest you go for a mood from the zelda art you posted. Try the sky and light settings from Well. I think you'll get more of what your looking for by warming up the maps color.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Lol I'm playing that game right now, I played it in the past but it's too much good to don't be played again

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
There is inconsistency's in the size of the bricks from wall to wall. I would suggest looking into how to make your swirls and wall decorations into overlays to place onto the wall instead of a custom texture.

Also lighting wise, I would suggest you go for a mood from the zelda art you posted. Try the sky and light settings from Well. I think you'll get more of what your looking for by warming up the maps color.

The bricks are only inconsistent on that right hand wall facing me in the SS, I havnt really got to making everything consistent yet,

As for the lighting, I would go with Night, or full day,
I dont know what it is about dawn/dusk maps but i cant stand the low redish warm light in any map ever or game, it just has a very icky feel to them

Where night has the ambiance, and day has the beauty and in between is just UGH, even in the art picture where its dawn/dusk I think its ugly.
But if alot of people think that would be better I'll change it to that,

Also the map's name in the end is probably going to be called "TheThirdDay"
Since the moon crashes into the earth on the night of the third day.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
Yea the guy didn't make the brushwork for that, it was exported from the game its self
useing a program like xsi. so IMHO he didn't make it, he just converted it, (which to say isn't easy but still..)

Last edited:

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
It still looks great though, you could use it as a handy reference visually.