XX_clocktown

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by DucatiBon, Feb 1, 2009.

1. DucatiBon

DucatiBon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    First off i wanna say thanks to everyone in the mapping section for helping me and other who are just starting mapping, iv been very frustrated sometimes but i always got the help I needed

Okay first off this is very very early shots of the map,
    My whole point of this is to get feedback early before iv done to much with it and have to go back and change the entire thing,

If you haven't played Zelda Majora's mask, you wont recognize it, so here is a picture

[​IMG]

Here is what i have so far
    EDITED - Updated the screenshot
    [​IMG]

and earlier view of the map befor i had to delete the moon temporarily since spheres make me crash.

[​IMG]

So as elite veteran Mappers, give me tips, suggestions, ideas, whether you think day looks better than night, all that good stuff

OH and ATM dont think of it as game play wise, just map wise, cuz odds are its ganna suck game play wise because its a remake of a non FPS game

Its my first map so I just am making it as a learning thing, more than a great gameplay thing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    Spheres are buggy for one.

Another thing, wow, that looks nice! The nighttime ambience is great, as you are visible in it and it produces a striking hue change. The main problem with nighttime is that it tends to make maps be very dark and silhouette-breaking. I like the nighttime style more, just needs a custom skybox.

3. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    THANKS POTATO MAN!! ^_^

and again thanks for the help in my other threads.

It wasnt a sphear acctualy it was a cube subdivided then i painted some geometry on it to make the contures of the texture,

My goal was original to make a PL map where team 1, pushes cart Team 2 odiously defends, and as the timer goes by, the Moon gets closer and closer to the earth and eventual crashes into it if team 1 didn't push the card all the way.

pretty intense for a person who just started learning hammer 6 days ago. who knows the map might turn out to work out as a PL map after im done with out deviating to much from the original design of the game.

PS. The triforce you can see in the earlier picture (daytime) was ganna be "the cart"

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. Cerious

Cerious L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm gonna go ahead and suggest arena mode if you are looking for a gameplay type, because then you can have unbalanced areas, and a smaller map overall. Plus, you can have the cp near the tower/in the tower.

5. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    That is very true, especially since the rest of the town pretty much centers around it.

6. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    I added an updated screen shot to the original one, more finished and a new custom texture.

7. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    I think it might be a little big for arena. Dustbowl-style cp would be my choice here, each time taking a piece of the four (?) smaller areas of Clock Town that exist, with the last cp being in the tower.
    Looks pretty so far!

8. drunkie

drunkie L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    There is inconsistency's in the size of the bricks from wall to wall. I would suggest looking into how to make your swirls and wall decorations into overlays to place onto the wall instead of a custom texture.

Also lighting wise, I would suggest you go for a mood from the zelda art you posted. Try the sky and light settings from Well. I think you'll get more of what your looking for by warming up the maps color.

9. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Lol I'm playing that game right now, I played it in the past but it's too much good to don't be played again

10. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    The bricks are only inconsistent on that right hand wall facing me in the SS, I havnt really got to making everything consistent yet,

As for the lighting, I would go with Night, or full day,
    I dont know what it is about dawn/dusk maps but i cant stand the low redish warm light in any map ever or game, it just has a very icky feel to them

Where night has the ambiance, and day has the beauty and in between is just UGH, even in the art picture where its dawn/dusk I think its ugly.
    But if alot of people think that would be better I'll change it to that,

Also the map's name in the end is probably going to be called "TheThirdDay"
    Since the moon crashes into the earth on the night of the third day.

11. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  12. DucatiBon

Positive Ratings:
    Yea the guy didn't make the brushwork for that, it was exported from the game its self
    useing a program like xsi. so IMHO he didn't make it, he just converted it, (which to say isn't easy but still..)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  13. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It still looks great though, you could use it as a handy reference visually.