Wuzzup, I'm KubeKing!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KubeKing, Oct 18, 2014.

1. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, and thanks for clickin' this thread! I'm KubeKing4556, and I'm new to the community. A bit about myself: I like TF2. I want to concentrate my passion into a wholly positive experience for the player. I have a moderate amount of experience with the Hammer Editor in general, but technically, I've never released (or completed!) a TF2 map before.

I've decided to post some quick screenshots of the map I'm currently working on, cp_campout (the name is very tentative). So quick, I didn't bother to crop them, or figure out how to put them in the right format. If you can, please post a small word of advice regarding the mapping community, how my map looks so far, or otherwise, and I'll make sure to check it out! Peace and love, peace and love! :thumbup1:

[​IMG]
    A quick view of mid.
    [​IMG]
    Ditto. Notice that the roof is accessible via the top of the container.
    [​IMG]
    Ditto. The doorways in the high middle of the picture lead out towards second.
    [​IMG]
    The bend around towards second. The roof to the right is accessible, and gives a vantage point for the attackers.
    [​IMG]
    Another view of the wooden building.
    [​IMG]
    The back of the wooden building (I'll probably expand this area). There is a pathway that leads to a small valley of sorts. You can begin to see the building for B. The white building, which I plan to be spytech-themed, is where the defenders will come out.
    [​IMG]
    Some quick detailing I made to get a feel for the theme of the map.
    [​IMG]
    Here's B in all of its glory! To the side of it is the valley I mentioned earlier. The concept of this area is to provide plenty of mobility around the point, but not directly to it.
    [​IMG]
    An overview of the map so far. Small, I know. From the top of the image, it should spread out some and conclude at the final cap.

Thank you very much, and happy mapping!

-KubeKing4556

2. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    Congratulations, KubeKing!

Your first map is NOT a boring flat field!

Huzzah!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome to the site! :)

Definitely not bad for a first map at all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. RubbishyUser

RubbishyUser L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So what's a Cam Pout? 2/3 of a long distance relationship?

I jest. One reccomendation is sorting out those roofs. At the moment they appear to be rectangles with triangles on top of them, with slight overhangs. Instead, I reccomend forgetting about overhangs for now, in the same fashion as pl_cactuscanyon. Just make it one house shaped block.

Alternatively, build the roof properly with a 16 unit overhang all round. This will kill compile times with the vvis setting on though, so you will either want to turn it off or start learning about func_detailing, especially with roofs. You will have to do this sooner or later though.

Oh, and props for using the visgroup stuff; that's really impressive!

• Thanks Thanks x 1