Would you describe making TF2 maps as tiring?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Egan, May 7, 2015.

?

Would you describe making TF2 maps as tiring?

Poll closed May 6, 2016.
  1. Yes

63.0%
  2. No

37.0%
  1. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Please answer the poll and if you have the time answer 'Why?' in a reply to this topic.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If anything, I map better when zombified, and it wakes me up.

Doing anything for too long is tiring but mapping is less than normal.

3. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    Finally! After 8 hours updating my map to final, it's time to save and compile it! Presses save button, hammer freezes, and crashes with autosave disabled.

4. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I do it purely as a hobby, so if I find it gets tiring I just stop for a while.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    Well the consistent crashing is very tiring and also that making a relatively fun map takes time.

6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Making the map is fine.

Dealing with the community is the hard part.

• Thanks Thanks x 14
  7. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am a mapping addict. When I start a project, it consumes me and I think about nothing else until that project is done. Probably for a number of reasons.

1. Makes me feel relaxed - at times stressed, then relaxed when the error is figured out.
    2. Makes me feel like I am actually accomplishing something.
    3. When the map complete - it's yea can move onto something else.
    4. Takes my mind completely off of all the other BS that's going on in my life. It's like I'm completely immersed in the world that I am building and thus enjoyable.

Is it tiring? Yes at times - I want to get the damn thing over and done with at times especially when I'm looking at the code and to me everything is coded correct but it isn't working in game and you have to compile, compile, compile....................................................

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    I make maps as hobby as its relaxing to me. Only then the entity work is being a pain it can be tiring, but i still enjoy it that way and it will just take longer.

Mapping while being tired is a bad thing for me, i will just make trash that way.

9. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    I want to vote both yes and no. No because it means I'm doing something for a goal, but yes because, well, because it's Hammer and Source. Hammer's an unstable piece of *insert curses here* and Source because it's limiting me what I want to do with my maps because of its age. And yes I am aware of engines like Unity or stuff like that but does TF2 run on that? No.

10. ZeSpice

ZeSpice L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    What can be better than creating something?
    But some things can be tiring.
    When it hard to solve something (enteties work or balance.)
    And maybe no related to mapping itself. Submitting maps for tests. (With my social awkwardness this is hard to showing something you done and listening critic, especially if it not constructive critics.)

Ctrl+S after every change! :3

11. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    honestly, mapping is the most relaxing part of game design. coding, NOW that is draining. mapping gives me the opportunity to shut my brain off and just get things done. even entities are a cakewalk.

12. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    If I'm excited about the project, never tiring.

If I have to do it and it's not that exciting, then it can get tiring.

13. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Creativity is tiring when you have to force it, basically.

14. Clone5184

Clone5184 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Depending on what map I'm working on, it's starting that's the hardest. It's hard to do the little details when you have this awesome idea, but have to get the spawns and filters set up first. Once you get into the swing of things though, then it gets really fun as you shape it into the cool idea you had.
    Then there's the flipside, where you start off really hyped and exited for this map that you're working on, but once you have the basic layout set up and get into "crap what should go here" part. Then things start to go downhill. I cannot tell you how many maps that I've started and now they just sit. (This isn't just for TF2. I find myself constantly setting up Half-Life 2 and Portal 2 maps, only to give up on them partway.)
    I find what I end up doing most is either setting up a level in Dev Textures, or creating this really nice looking scenic thing, or creating a map solely for testing something that I want to learn how to use. (e.x. ropes, new skybox, prefabs/npcs, etc.)

Wow that was longer than expected. I'm just going to stop talking now.

15. Géza!

Géza! L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I found that the weekly playtests are an excellent incentive for getting things done. Gotta be ready for the playtest, after all :v

16. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun learning to fly

Positive Ratings:
    Sometimes it's tiring when I do it late at night

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. MrHatlf

MrHatlf engineer main, majoring in exploiting

Positive Ratings:
    *Spam Ctrl+S about 10 times after you select an existing entity/brush.

18. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    After long nights of work, practicing tf2, composing music and everything else that comes with that; Sitting down and making some bullshit in hammer is just relaxing. Setting down and creating some nice looking architecture, a good gameplay space or just trying to recreate an idea that seemed great in my head only to get another dumpster map into the list ( I will make an orphanage soon, trust me).. it just makes me ready for some good ole sleep.

19. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    layouts and detailing main points of interest is fun

finishing up detailing so that the whole map is done can be a grind

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Depends on what it is

If it's a frustrating and HUGE project, or a 72hr contest, then HELL YEAH it's tiring.

If it's just a regular day, then no. Definitely not.