Would there be any interest in an Urban Theme Pack?

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
I've always liked Mannhattan's theme, and always get excited when a map comes around with it's theme. However, myself(as well as undoubtedly some others) have always thought that the American City theme that it uses feels a bit incomplete. I have mentioned my interest in starting up an Urban theme pack in the Steam chat a few times, and at least a few people always seemed to be intrigued.

I was hesitant to write up this thread, because I definitely don't want to inflict on the progress of the Arctic theme pack, and I planned on not starting anything up about this until maybe next winter, but some people in the Steam chat convinced me to do it.

Although I am not very good myself at making custom content, I'd be willing to do any organizational work that may come up, as well as promotional source filmmaker posters and whatnot(Again, I'm not a professional graphic designer, but I'd do my best).

Examples of content that could be included in the pack:

• Park benches
  • Modular Building Pieces
  • Zoo-related props/animated zoo animals
  • More specified textures
  • More trash/junk
  • More modern windows
  • More gas station related props
  • More props for rooves(chimneys etc)
  • More business signs(e.g. Lumpy Bros Butter)
  • More lampposts
  • Better road/sidewalk textures
  • Edits to existing props(e.g open bookstand)
  • Detailed skyscraper skybox props
  • Additional billboards/advertisements
  • Fire escape props
  • Traffic lights
  • Graffiti/Mural overlays
  • More stain overlays

So, what do you think? Post any additional ideas, comments, or questions, everything helps!

Cheers! :D

Last edited:

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Modular elevated rail pieces. Also, some more accurate 1960s light-rail trains.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Would be interesting. I think i need to finish up the arctic pack first, though.

Agreed, flinging around project ideas is great, but we need to prove we can actually complete them before planning new ones, or else we're just wasting time

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I've been thinking about this lately because of the latest attempt to put the Mann Co roof sign into a PVP map just because there are no other good ones. I've come up with a few decent designs for fake company signs over the years; I can post the scans if anyone wants to try to do something with them.

Also: See if we can get the maker of this prop to convert it to a form that works in TF2 and has LODs, because it is the bomb.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
There's already some decent urban stuff in the maritime props. Combined with soho, urban, and construction, I don't actually feel like this theme is missing anything. It just needs someone clever to do it.

I also agree that we should probably finish the Arctic pack first. I guess.

Also: See if we can get the maker of this prop to convert it to a form that works in TF2 and has LODs, because it is the bomb.
Wow, we should really be bugging the SFM prop makers to make this stuff available for TF2 maps!

There's a trash can in the maritime stuff btw.

Mar 23, 2013
the assets from watergate would fit right in (if you fix the texture format to half the file size)

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
I can think of 60 spaceship windows and the curvature of the metal buildings
maybe make a tin foil texture for windows?

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
ffs it's not Japanese you scrub

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
Hong Kong's in Korea, right?

Habeebit

L1: Registered
Jul 19, 2015
Hong Kong is in China.

OT: Personally I would love more urban maps, particularly with detailed areas like bars, stores, and gas stations. Maybe add some Poker Night references, like a sign saying Foldsville

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
guys... the game is in the 60s... there about... so a urban theme would be 60s related

Habeebit

L1: Registered
Jul 19, 2015
I don't think anyone was arguing otherwise.

If an Urban asset pack does eventually get made, there should be a Tom Jones cardboard cut-out, and some props/throwbacks to the Unhappy Returns comic, like the statue of Claude Huggins