Woo! Finally something to shut up the media complaining about games.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Sigh, I don't like my pre-existing disposition.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
In my opinion an open ended simulator (like garry's mod) or some kind of design-based game (like spore, in a way) is more educational to young children than some maths-based game. Even GTA, if you took out the poorly applied violence (so, simpson's hit-and-run) teach children skills like planning and thinking ahead, as well as spacial awareness. The good old week in the woods or lego kit is probably the best kind of game, but the games I mentioned above are the more educational of video games. Even hl2 involves planning and a bit of physics prediction, but that's a far stretch. Open-ended challenges or experiments allow kids to work things out for themselves, instead of outright telling them what grammar and spelling is.</rant>

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Damn video games are polluting our children's minds.
Damn television is polluting our children's minds.
Damn rock and roll is polluting our children's minds.
Damn alcohol is polluting our children's minds.
Damn blues are polluting our children's minds.
Damn mozart is polluting our children's minds.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Portal teaches children how to think in four dimensions.

so hah

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
This has been my argument to all annoying people who tell me video games make kids want to shoot up schools.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
It's just too bad most of the media industry is going to completely ignore this study.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Well, I don't know about you, but TF2 gives me a reason to live. :D

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I did my final semester's Dissertation on the impact of video games on society... It was mostly focused on escapism but it's hard to cover video games influence on society without covering even briefly the history of video games supposed relation to violence.

Early studies were supposed to reveal that interactivity was the key factor for influencing such aggressive behaviour, which supposedly seperated video games from already existing multi million industries that sold violence for profit such as film or sports.

there was almost unanimous evidence to show that a video game's relation to violence is only as a potential catalyst to those with pre-existing dispositions.

Regardless of the evidence, it's old/traditionalist people in political office, denying progress and garnering votes off of the more traditionalist citizens that prevent places such as Australia, Turkey and Germany from certifying 18+ material in video games.

Either way, for Americans, video games are protected under the 1st, 2nd, 14th and even 16th ammendments.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
In my opinion an open ended simulator (like garry's mod) or some kind of design-based game (like spore, in a way) is more educational to young children than some maths-based game.

Them's fightin' words, don't make me break out Operation Neptune...

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Either way, for Americans, video games are protected under the 1st, 2nd, 14th and even 16th ammendments.

Don't forget (at this point) the 9th and 10th amendments, protection of rights not inherently covered by law.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
Man, I love this study... I was playing Call of Duty 6's singleplayer, and I played the ending. My Mum complained that the bit where you throw the knife at General Shepard was horrific, and I quoted this study. Her response was that it was just one study and it doesn't prove anything

:facepalm:

One more study than they have...
We've still got a lot of work to do before all these out of touch, aging news reporters stop blindly just getting angry and creating scandals cos it's good viewing...
but we're getting there.

EDIT:
I mean, just look at some of the communities that have emerged from videogames as well! For example, TF2maps.net, a bunch of very creative, very talented people who took their love of videogames to the next level (heh) and started producing custom content. And Child's Play! rawr.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Man, I love this study... I was playing Call of Duty 6's singleplayer, and I played the ending. My Mum complained that the bit where you throw the knife at General Shepard was horrific, and I quoted this study. Her response was that it was just one study and it doesn't prove anything

There was a CoD5, much less 6?