[WIP] TF Chess

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
chess_test0001.jpg

My goal is to have players able to play chess in TF2. The 'pieces' are prop_dynamic, which can be move by being parented to a func_moveliner

Don't know if this will work yet, but i'm going to try.

Shadowclad

L1: Registered
Jul 3, 2008
By the way, there is a company that manufactures models of peoples WoW characters, maybe we could get thim to make this...
Anyway, if this map is 1v1 it might be easier. Or you know what would be cool (although this would probably be based on the server and not the map) is if everybody took a vote on what piece to move and the most popular choice was moved. By the way, you should also choose a good backdrop for it. Hanging in oblivion or in the middle of the sky would probably be okay, but if you put typical decoration in the back it would be better, IMHO. You could also always put it right smack in the middle of dustbowl if you can't think of anything else. And if you can get them to play an attack animation when they take another piece, that would be so awesome I can't even describe (and get the knight to do his rocket jump animation when he jumps). By the way, I noticed that there are 32 pieces and that is the maximum amount of players on most servers. If only there was a way to play chess with real players as the pieces without ten year olds running across the board and smashing all in sight.

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I think your best bet would be to add path_tracks to each square with the "Teleport to this track" flag checked.

When the players moves a piece, it will simply teleport to the place.

Shadowclad

L1: Registered
Jul 3, 2008
Maybe you shoot the square of the piece then where you want it to move. On second thought... this is getting too complicated. You're a human, after all!

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
Maybe you shoot the square of the piece then where you want it to move. On second thought... this is getting too complicated. You're a human, after all!

That's what i'm thinking, shoot the piece you want to move, shoot it to where you want to move it.

I'm planing to have multiple boards in one map, so more then two people can play. However only two people are allowed on each board.

EDIT:

I've got the Red Rook working
chess_testa0001.jpg

shoot him, he turns red.

chess_testa0002.jpg

shoot the square, it square turns blu and he moves to it.

First i'm planing to get a version just where all the pieces can be moved anywhere, not worrying about the game logic yet.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
Hope it works, this is good.

How will you simulate the death of pieces? Gib ragdolls?

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I really wonder how you will tell the game that a horse can only move 2 forward 1 sideways etc.. the chess rules.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
This. Is. CHECKMATE!!!

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Wtf horse jumps 2 and 1 right? At least in belgium we call THE HORSE a horse.

paard.png

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
1 right or left.

efciem

L69: Deviant Member
Mar 31, 2008
I have access to a 3d Polyurethane epoxy printer..

use it for work..

basicly you can take any 3d model and it creates a casted model of it with a maximum size of 6" high, 3" diameter and its pretty detailed , I have some airplane models ive made done with it.

Cost for doing it would run about $15 per model though for the materials,

Time and use of the machine is free for me.. cuz i can do it while im at work.

efciem

L69: Deviant Member
Mar 31, 2008
as for a background to the map, do a 3d Skybox with large furniture etc so it looks like its set on a coffee table in a living room.. have a big screen TV blurred out in the background with some tv show animated texture ;)

Spacemonkeynz

Jan 31, 2008
Haha, that would be pretty cool.

However, i've put it on hold for a moment. While i've worked out I way to do everything, it's extremely time consuming, every entity has to renamed, 84 squares, 32 pieces. Then if I wanted two boards in the same map (so that more then 2 people could play at a time), I would have to rename all the entities for the new board, plus inputs and outputs, which would double the amount of work.

So i'm going to try and work out an easier way. If only we could code our own entities, it would make things so much easier.

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
remember to make a high platform so people can run up there to get a clear view of the whole board, maybe a glass ceiling to run across. Its hard to make decisions at ground level imo.

also i know it would be kinda impossible but what about when a piece is taken, the capture piece kills the taken piece? I remember they did this in a mortal kombat game where they had chess as a bonus game.

Last edited:

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
It is extremly hard to do this. you need some extensive programming. i cant even list all the hard/impossible things to do to make this play right.