WIP Platformer

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Oh boy, here I go again.

A while ago on this site I created a thread about a platformer I was making, though I ended up giving up on the project cause I was missing a lot of knowledge in coding.

So in November I started work on another platformer, which was the old version of what you're seeing here. It was looking pretty decent until my hard drive decided that booting up was for pussies and just shat in my face.

Discouraging is a nice way to put the result of that, though it's not like there were problems before then. I was using Enigma for the game's engine. Enigma is an open source project that seeks to be a stand-in for Gamemaker. It's a good program, but it crashed constantly for me. About every 10-20 minutes constant, which isn't helped by if I'm saving when it gives up on life I'll end up with the gmk. corrupted, and lose whatever work wasn't in the latest backup, which could range from meh to end my life levels of work.

But Gamemaker Studio 2 game out semi-recently, and I've been eyeing it for a bit, and recently I took the plunge and dropped a hunnid for it. While I've been fumbling around with the many changes to the UI, I've also started making a new version of the November Platformer.

9T5mRFJ.png

I've been working on it since the Friday of Spring Break, so progress is pretty light. Though the concepting I've done for the game over the months since November has giving me a good sense of direction, so progress has been at a decent pace.

I'll keep working on it and post updates here when something interesting happens. If you got any suggestions or such to add, feel free to do so. It's not like I host the site anyways, I don't make the rules.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Starting to move towards a much better player sprite

Edau3W2.png

This is the first W.I.P I made after the initial screenshot above. It was based on a quick sketch using a black layer i made with the mouse freehanding. It's an obvious improvement, having a much better figure, and color. Though the shading is very flat and boring. It's decent, but it needs a lot of improvements.

ijJq8dC.png

About ten minutes of starting from scratch later, I get this much improved version of the sprite above. I referenced the sprite above, and did it by pixel instead of a freehand template, so the form is more clear. I also had more control over the pose, which is why the cool qualities of the sprite above are accentuated. I also massively improved the shading, making it much nicer and adding highlights to the leather and armor.

WxkL7vn.png

After some suggestions from the chat ( Thanks @Asd417 ), I went back and added some breaks between the armor, so its easier to see that the guy can move around in the armor.

I'm not sure where this sudden ability to make decent sprites came from for myself, but I'll abuse the power as long as I can.