WIP pl_railroad

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by S.W.A.T.Y, Nov 30, 2008.

1. S.W.A.T.Y

S.W.A.T.Y Banned

Positive Ratings:
    [Contest Entry] pl_railroad

UPDATED VERSION!!

Alright guys, All this time i have been working on my map and it looks completely different. I have changed the whole map. Its way more optimized now. Im almost done with the map. I hope you guys like it! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    This is absolutely beatiful, looks like it'll be fun to play too. Make sure you get it on gameday as soon as you can.

Some complaints though: the tracks have ugly shadows (you should probably just turn off their shadows) and that road strikes me as very odd. The road itself looks fine, but why are the train tracks on the road? Looks very out of place. Oh, and you might want to do something about some of your displacements in for example this picture, they look a bit twisted and broken.

But as I said, overall it looks great. One of the best looking TF2 maps I've seen in a long while, so I hope it'll play well too. :)

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, very pretty.

Some things though:
    1. A selection of missalligned textures that are just a little obvious. >>see<<
    2. Your displacements that border your 3dskybox are incredibly spikey, you have random sink holes/peaks dotting your nice dirt mounds; you need to go over these a smooth them out just a little, though you don't have to flatten the overall mounds themselves.
    3. You could mix up the wood textures a bit, especially when you have a large building with several segments.
    4. Is that an alpine skybox for your desert map?
    5. I think you need a cubemap in your skybox.. i'm not sure. Maybe you just have low graphics settings..
    6. these rocks seem quite.. off. I'm not sure what it is, it looks like they're covering up a displacement misallignment..
    7. I'm not sure what's happening here with your overlays, but you can select multiple brush faces assigning a single overlay to many segments sharing the same plane. It looks like this is messed up though because of the overlaping "sloppy" allignment
    8. Bad displacement allignment is causing lightmap bugs at your displacement seams.

You have the displacement style down to a tee, i myself am overtly reserved, but you've been quite rash with your displacement forming which is a shame. If you were a little more methodical it would be so beautiful.

4. laghlagh

laghlagh L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  5. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    The road is definitely a cool idea, it's the fact that the train tracks go on top of it that makes it seem so very unnatural.

About your shadows: If that really doesn't work (I'm convinced it should), you could try this.

6. Apom

Apom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's no reason why that would happen. Did you change anything else?

You should ;)

7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    *edit; does it crash every time you try to load the map, try to keep the console up whilst loading the map and see if you can catch it saying anything right before it shuts down..

Are you running on a good system?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  8. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Have you tried starting up the map from within the game instead of directly from the compile? For some reason, the same thing has happened to me the past few times, but it worked when I started the game and made a server.

9. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks great.

But I agree the tracks on the road are odd. The rocks in the middle of the road are just whack :p

10. laghlagh

Positive Ratings:
    My suggestion: Forget about the road and stuff, make the whole map like the awesome first part, the town. it's beautiful! You ddon't need that road.

11. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or if you have to have the road just make it go into a big tunnel that fades to black pretty fast.

I could see the tracks crossing the road 90 degree and running alongside it, just not down the middle.
    If you do make them cross build up some wood 'ramps/platform' the same hieght so cars could roll smoothly across instead of 'bump bump'.

Put those rocks beside the road.

12. S.W.A.T.Y

S.W.A.T.Y Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Alright guys, I fixed the ugly shadows by following Youme's tutorial that he made. I added some stuff and HDR. Here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. laghlagh

Positive Ratings:
    Damn that's nice! Damn!
    This lake does in my opinion look a bit large and bland. How about something like this?
    [​IMG]

14. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Warning, this is gonna be impossible to optimize without more bends in the track; optimizing is not about hiding world geometry and props as much as it is hiding other players (so that netcode doesn't have to update their location for players that shouldn't be seeing them)

15. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    you need to scale the water texture to 1

16. laghlagh

Positive Ratings:
    It looks very good, remeber to have optimizing in mind when building.

17. toutfou

toutfou L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It means that one side of your area portal can trace a line around your level and see the other side. It should be completely shut off, in the same fashion you'd prevent your level from having leaks.

In the attachment, the first diagram an areaportal has been placed over entrance A and B, but C hasn't been covered, so a (and b) and see both of their respective faces (follow the red line).

In the second diagram, the area is completely sealed, so A and B can no longer see their opposing faces.

This is a very simple diagram though, it's likely you there's a very small hole in your BSP structure where it's able to trace itself out of and see the opposing faces. Go to Map > Load Point File after compiling and follow the red line, it should help give you an indication of where it's leaking.

As MangyCarface said, it's not just about visual performance, it's for network reasons too. It'd be wise to try and optimise for both as best as you can.

18. ProfFiendish

ProfFiendish L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
  19. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Been meaning to ask... that arch looks like it's straight out of goldrush...

20. NoHeroes

NoHeroes L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is this map still in development? It looked so promising....