[WIP] pl_prodigy

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by TimeBomb, Jul 29, 2008.

1. TimeBomb

TimeBomb L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    What I intend on Doing Might be considered incredibly lazy, what I plan on doing, instead of reuploading every picture I've taken so far (about 60 :p ) I'll just link you to another forum where I've been keeping the updates [Don't ban me if I should have reuploaded ]

Here is the first "Update (though if it's the first it can't really be an update now is it)

From four weeks ago
    - http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10536586&postcount=554

A couple of days later
    - http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10592259&postcount=654

From About 3 Weeks Ago
    - http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10599297&postcount=682

Another couple of days after that
    - http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10604470&postcount=691

About 2 to 3 weeks later
    - http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10686064&postcount=934

Two Weeks Ago
    - http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10809574&postcount=1112

Then I went on Vacation in Mexico

And

Another Update From: Yesterday

- http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=10998337&postcount=1372

Please give C & C as long as it isn't something like "Add A 3d skybox" because I'm doing that last, that as well as things like Optimizing, Bug Testing And Whatnot, also please try not to tell me that It needs to be more "open" Stage 2 will most likely be pretty open (Think Outside of Last Cap in well. Other things that just can't happen anymore (What? you'd like it more if it was taking place on Mt. Doom? well you should have told me earlier.

Please C & C and thank you for your time.

Also if anyone hosts a custom server and likes this, please notify me so I can send you a DL Link when i'm done.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. roninmodern

roninmodern L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It does look really good, but I think you may catch some flak for it being on facepunch...

3. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    If I have to, so be it.

4. roninmodern

Positive Ratings:
    oh and in one of your pictures, I see water just stopping before it gets to the horizon, it looks a little off, in my opinion.

5. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    Either it's not water your seeing, or it's a problem I've already fixed (I Hope) I only have 2 brushes with water, so if you wouldn't mind showing me what picture...

6. roninmodern

Positive Ratings:
    this one here.

[​IMG]

Through that archway, the water doesn't go to the horizon.

7. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Er, even though you're lazy, copying and pasting the forum code from your OP shouldn't be such a hard task... Please do so

8. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    The player doesn't actually see back there so it'd be kinda pointless

9. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    I'll get right on it

Crap I thought there was an automerge

10. roninmodern

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't know the player can't see back there, having never been on your map.

I was merely commenting on what I saw from your SS.

It does look like a nicely detailed map.

11. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, It won't compile for some reason, but hey what doesn't kill you

...will kill you eventually.

12. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you still haven't fixed the problem with the lights projecting themselves through the lamps and onto the ceilings, you can either:

- use spotlights instead
    - use a brush with a "block light" texture (can't remember the exact name, type this in the browser) with the size of the lamp, right above the light entities.

Other than that, looks great.

13. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    if you make the block light texture blocks, just cover between the lamp and your light, but dont have the prop's origin in side the block light brush. the lighting on your prop will be weird.

14. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    I'm still working towards fixing the errors keeping it from compiling normally, but I'll just use a spotlight.

Maybe it's just my constant form of self doubt but I still don't feel it looks like a TF2 map. Probably because I'm holding myself to Valve's standards, probably a recipe for disaster.

You guys have been pretty helpful, I might just stay here :l

15. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    got the same thing :D if I dont like something I start over :p building a good map can be time consuming but the end result is so worth it

16. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've got to say that self-criticism is probably one of the most important "skills" in mapping. I've communicated with a lot of mappers and I've seen a tendency for people to be unwilling to throw away a few hours' worth of work. This is wrong. I myself scrapped so much of my time when working on White Valley - I've literally deleted and started over at least 2-3 whole areas of the map (by an "area" I mean about half a stage), because they just didn't play well. And now I'm happy with what I've achieved and I'm detailing it with confidence that it plays nicely and may have some minor problems at most.

People need to remember that no time spent mapping is wasted, even if you delete the result afterwards. If nothing else, the experience remains, and that is so valuable!

Anyway, we're getting really off-topic here. The map looks great, I personally can't wait to give it a test ;)

17. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:

The thing that's kept me back so far has most likely been Self Criticism (though probably not :l what are you gonna do )

one thing that makes me feel "bright" though not in an intelligence way is that I've put very little thought into how all the classes work out other than a few things here and there, and even then I find myself with sniping positions, good sentry spots WITH places you can get to the sentry. Open areas but not too open where a sniper will lay siege to all that oppose (no matter how fun that is)

In fact the hardest part is probably going to be the whole "setting up programing the stages/doors/payload track/particles I'm not to happy with my Output/Input performance and will probably get to work on practicing that after I make non dev textured versions of my CS:S maps on FPSB

18. Zipok

Zipok L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    The "from yesterday" update thread. The first picture. The one with updated BLU base.

.. Looks pure awesome! Really nice looking building. Except the one BLU overlay at the right. Why is it so flattened? That is the only thing that doesn't fit in the picture, otherwise it is perfect. :)

19. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    The Billboard, or the sign above the Corn co.?

Edit: My original idea was I was going to have a spawn room for every lost capture point, then after actually playing goldrush I realized there was only one spawn for the BLU's, now I've already made a spawnroom for the Red team, so I'll give them two, the only real problem I can see is that getting the cart from the begining to the first cap might be a bit much, however it isn't far (at all)and a steady defense would mean that it wouldn't be a huge problem. shouldn't be too huge a problem, if anything it helps make the playing area a little bigger.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  20. TimeBomb

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry For The Bump!

BACK WITH AN UPDATE

I've finished the last spawn for stage one for the REDS :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've added a little sniper perch on the BLU building

[highlight]:siren: Unfortunately the door frame is too small so I'll have to change that and the actual platform is too small so I'll be removing the rails :siren:[/highlight]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've added a bit of cover to the bridge area

[​IMG]

I've added another sniper spot spot at the bridge
    [​IMG]

It's pretty easily flankable
    [​IMG]

I've started working on the first BLU Spawn of the 2nd round

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've started working on the cliff area for the 2nd round