[WIP] pl_evator (get it?)

NumbersAndNoise

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2008
pl_evator_0110004.jpg

As a diversion from the my serious project, cp_cliffside, I've started making pl_evator. The goal of this map, for me, is to create a fun and visually appealing gimmick (wait, don't leave!) map. The BLU team has snuck into the lowest sub-basement of the RED base with a huge bomb. They intend to detonate it at the ground floor. They've loaded it onto the elevator, but now the RED team has been alerted, and is trying to stop them from bringing the bomb to the top. The elevator itself is a large platform that moves by the standard payload rules. The shaft widens towards the top, making it easier to knock players off of it and onto the floor, which results in instant death.

Done:
- Basic layout
- Initial lighting
- Very basic texturing
- Payload mechanics
- Spawn points

To Do:
- Detail (my goal is to create a very convincing illusion of being a part of a larger building)
- Balancing timers
- Nobuild (Engies would be way too broken on this map)
- Troubleshooting

Right now, my biggest problem, though, is frame-rate. With showbudget on, it shows my swap-buffer going through the roof, and whenever I look at the center of the platform, my framerate goes straight to hell. I initially thought that this happened because of the bomb prop in the middle, but removing that made the problem much worse, the frame rate problem extended to the entire platform. If I turn on fullbright, this problem completely disappears. And idea how I can fix this?

Thanks for looking.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I love the idea! All I can say about your map design so far is that I like what I see in that screen, but the transitions from office walls to elevator shaft looks a bit strange, in these small corridors. I need to see a bit more to be able to give some constructive comments, though.

NumbersAndNoise

Jul 14, 2008
Turtling anyone? Looks like fun, till all of red goes engineer and builds sentries on every level :p

Hence the nobuilds that I mentioned in the writeup. It'll probably have to cover the whole thing, because sentries will kill the fun of the map even faster than it will kill the players.

I've started doing a bit more detailing, but I'm still very concerned about the framerate problem I mentioned earlier. Now it's not just near the cart, but everywhere, your framerate is goes through the roof, as does swap buffer. I can post the Hammer file if it's really necessary, but does anyone have any idea what would cause this kind of problem? I worry that the map won't be playable if I can't fix it, so any help would really be appreciated.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
if i were playing this map i'd just go demo and spam bombs onto that ele because they are bound to hit someone. Get half your team to do that... well i'm sure you can get the ramifications.

NumbersAndNoise

Jul 14, 2008
if i were playing this map i'd just go demo and spam bombs onto that ele because they are bound to hit someone. Get half your team to do that... well i'm sure you can get the ramifications.

Stickies already don't attach to the platform, just the walls. I think that would help with the spam issue a bit.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Gameplay issues are always difficult to tackle. You should consider having some horizontal doors opening along with the elevator progression. Quite unnatural, but it would prevent RED from firing down from too afar.

Give BLU many ways to climb up in order to clean up défenses also. Red should have a difficult time guarding all entrances and killing the players who make the elevator move at the same time.

Good luck :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Next idea: river boat payload.

A canal version of pl has already been suggested on these forums ;) i thought it was a neat idea if able to work.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
A canal version of pl has already been suggested on these forums ;) i thought it was a neat idea if able to work.

I'm actually thinking of that, I've been since someone started to make a boat payload model...which I guess will never be finished. I may do it in the future if nobody does it first. :p

NumbersAndNoise

Jul 14, 2008
Time for a huge update. I've fixed the performance problem from before and begun detailing and adding more paths. The layout now: The left side of either wall has stairs going from the very bottom to the first floor and from the first floor to either side of the second. The right side of either wall has stairs going from the first floor to the second and third. These paths aren't no-build, except when they get too close to the spawn rooms, but the elevator shaft and other areas that would break the map are. But enough words, I have pictures.

pl_evator_a01_rev0050000.jpg

Stairs up to the first floor from the ground.

pl_evator_a01_rev0050002.jpg

Stairs on the side.

pl_evator_a01_rev0050008.jpg

A couple inaccessible rooms embedded in the wall. More detail:

pl_evator_0170018.jpg

A spy villain conference room, complete with a trap door.

pl_evator_0170003.jpg

And why, you may ask, is the trap door open?

pl_evator_0170012.jpg

The trapdoor leads to an interrogation room, where you can see that RED does not have a whole lot of sympathy for spies.

pl_evator_a01_rev0050001.jpg

Taking one of the back routes reveals RED's evil plot.

pl_evator_a01_rev0050006.jpg

RED resupply room.

The pictures don't tell the whole story, so I'll have a playable alpha up soon.

Last edited:

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Elevator needs to supply blue with health and you really need tunnels and such connecting the 4 quadrants of the map other than red spawns.

NumbersAndNoise

Jul 14, 2008
Changes to come based on gameday:

- Creation of BLU spawn at ground and F3 (lowest floor) levels, removal of spawn from elevator [DONE]

- Removal of RED spawn on F1 (highest floor) [DONE, may do more work in converting the space]

- Dispenser function on cart, but only in the middle [DONE]

- Addition of more cris-crossing routes around the elevator shaft. [IN PROGRESS]

- Create man-cannon as route from first to third floor [ABANDONED]

- Single-person lift in place of man-cannon [COMPLETE]

- Place hazard strips to indicate nobuild areas [COMPLETE]

- Detail BLU spawn. Theme: RED's loading dock from the ocean. BLU snuck in with a shipment of weaponized toxic chemicals and just converted the room to their own colors. Now they're ready to start their assault, before the paint has even dried. [IN PROGRESS]

- Modify Respawn Timers

Last edited: