WIP -- Lyzák [symm v. asymm]

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Lyzak, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lyzak

Lyzak L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here is my WIP thread for my Symmetry v. Asymmetry Contest entry. This is an Attack/Defend map with either 3 or 4 control points, utilizing the new Construction theme. Kudos to the responsible gentlemenn. In 3 words, I started late. :facepalm:

Good luck to everyone else! See you at the finish line!

State:
    :clippingtool:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Is that blue stuff water? (It looks like paint) Water isnt the best idea usually, i'd make the lake a bit smaller. Looks like quite a cool area though.

3. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It looks like a really fun area to play. Hope the other points won't disappoint my expectations.
    But if that blue thing is indeed water, you should move them away.
    Imagine this:
    x1 RED pyro
    x5 BLU players (capturing the point)
    The pyro will come to burn them, they will jump in the water while the point isn't captured the BLU players can come again knowing that there's a pyro up there...
    Just something to consider.
    Keep up the great work!

4. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    Actually I think I did an excellent job balancing the water (which is only present at this first point, the easiest one to capture) with the height of the point. A defending Pyro can't rake up the burn damage because of the water nearby, but because of the height, their airblasts are a useful way to clear the point. Less damage, more tactics. Again, like I said before, the water will not be a reoccurring theme, just this point.

Thanks for your comments. =D
    -Lyzák

5. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    notenoughdev :3

seriously though, you REALLY need to block out your layout in dev first, then refine that and move on. the stage your map looks as if it's in right now is late alpha..

6. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    PROGRESS [/minor]

Yea, I'm a detail freak. I just needed to set a basic ground for myself, especially since it seems that the map itself often has to be molded around props - those inflexible things.

But in general, I should be using more DEV and less TEXTURE from here to the end of this alpha.

7. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    i think a little detailing in A1 doesnt go awry, to give a feel of the theme.

EDIT: those spytech doors are too new and shiny for a map under construction.

8. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    Yea I was concerned about those doors. I wish there were more door options, because you're right -- they don't fit.

Suggestions?

9. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    Le'Progress! See the newest screenshot, cp3! (sixth picture)

10. re1wind

aa re1wind

Positive Ratings:
    i suggest you draw out the layout with either pen and paper or in a digital drawing program [photoshop, painter] because, as enjoyable as it is to go straight to hammer and think up of cool areas, chances are they will almost certainly have major gameplay, visibility, and other issues. I used to make maps straight in hammer without too much thought, and going back to fix them is always a very very tedious process.

just a recomendation. :)

11. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    re1wind, I have 7 pages of concept for this map so far, all hand drawn. I have almost a ream worth of all my sketches for all maps I've ever imagined. I don't just hammer stuff out. =)

12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Good luck optimizing this.

13. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    It will indeed be a challenge, but this map is comparatively small, and every bit of work on the draft I have done has focused intensely on area division. Whether or not that comment was sidelong or earnest, I really don't care anymore. =p

14. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    Progress - just uploaded an overhead of the map so far, although it's still missing a considerable bit of blockwork.

15. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the layout of the water point. It has serious potential and offers something that hasn't been done before. It may or may not be absolutely perfect, but it has uniqueness going for it. In a sea of quickly forgettable maps it will stand out. Keep it up dude!

16. Lyzak

Positive Ratings:
    Taking a break to work on music composition - in the meantime, I have to redesign points 3 and 4, as well as the transitions around 1 and 2. Also, thanks for the compliment, Schwa.