WIP - looking for some constructive criticism...

frenziedlather

L1: Registered
Jul 6, 2008
This is a yet-to-be-named attack/defend CP map with the alpine setting. There are three control points, one at the stotrage tanks, one at the radio tower, and one at the helipad... the large building in the center(ish) has good sniper views to all points, so controling that top floor is a must for the attackers.

Anyway, I've got about 6 hours into the thing so far... mostly blocked out in dev (but certainly wont stay that way). I'm looking for some comments/ideas/etc as i look into developing the map further.

Dont worry, the ground won't stay flat...

Thanks

3513171292_8d2654a9f7_b.jpg

3513171046_ef18d1380d_b.jpg

3512363751_218785dcd4_b.jpg

3512363533_0f2ba4def3_b.jpg

3513170364_66cd2268de_b.jpg

3513170216_09d641d729_b.jpg

3513170010_c06eba7b1c_b.jpg

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
While I find the environment looking rather good, I find the layout from the pictures alone, looking rather confusing. I can't tell from the pictures along where the enemy team comes from. You said a three point CP, so I am guessing its Gravel Pit style.

One of my main problems with the map is that its roughly one large play area. The points look a little close to each other. You might want to consider making separate arenas for each capture point. The short distance between the points will advantage the scout player, The open area will allow the sniper to control the map.

An area for a capture point should roughly be around 2024 squared, give or take.

But that is one mapper's opinion.

frenziedlather

Jul 6, 2008
basically red comes from the radio tower area (the last cap point) and blue comes from the storage tanks area (ths first cap point). I'm trying to figure out a good way to segment the three areas - it's larger than it seems - but I don't want to resort to the "same old" put more buildings here to block area off.

I was thinking walls, but i dont really want to "prison" look, and cliffs just dont feel right. Maybe some under ground "plumbing / electrical" for close combat and routes around the map...

Snipers have a great advange from the building on the final point, but blue will most likely be coming through in order to reach to tower from the helipad... that would give them an oppertunity to clear the snipers. There'e enough cover on the storage tanks to stay clear of snipers (if you know they'll be in the building) and I haven't quite figured out what to do with the way-to-open helipad area.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
Just from glancing over the screens, I'm wondering how the point on the very bottom of the first picture is going to play. It looks rather large and open, and I'm wondering whether that's going to result in either the attacking team getting mowed down, or the defense not having any good positions to set up/defend from. Either way, Snipers are probably going to have a field day with that area.

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
It looks really open your probably going to have Framerate issues especially with that open building in the center.

frenziedlather

Jul 6, 2008
Just from glancing over the screens, I'm wondering how the point on the very bottom of the first picture is going to play. It looks rather large and open, and I'm wondering whether that's going to result in either the attacking team getting mowed down, or the defense not having any good positions to set up/defend from. Either way, Snipers are probably going to have a field day with that area.

Yup, I'm adding a building in that area (cap inside) - multiple entry/exits but tight...

frenziedlather

Jul 6, 2008
Sounds like I'm going to have to add some more buildings to block out some smaller areas. Would it be akward to add buildings that have a few paths, but no other real purpose; ie strategic advange... nothing to do in the building, just there to segment the map.